Wheels/Tires Questions and discussion about wheels and tires should be posted here.

PM Brake Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2013, 02:15 PM
prplglide
Tourer
Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts
Default PM Brake Help

I have a set of older (97 or so) PM 4 piston brake calipers on my bike which just got rebuilt today with new o-rings, seals and pistons. Also new is the rear reservoir, rear brake master cylinder and front brake reservoir and master cylinder. I did not replace either the front or rear brake lines, YET.

I have cleaned out everything (using brake cleaner). Brake lines, calipers, you name it, I cleaned it.

I can not get them to hold pressure. I can get air free fluid through the bleed screw, but it does not hold pressure. If it makes a difference, I am bleeding the old fashioned way. Pump and crack bleeder, repeat process.

My first thought was the master cylinder pistons. But, if they are new, why would that be the problem?

Am I overlooking, or thinking too much on this simple process? I have never had any trouble bleeding brakes before. A dozen or so pumps, and it was good to go.

Anyone have any suggestions or comments?

Thanks.

Old 10-05-2013, 02:29 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,973 Likes on 4,165 Posts

You do have the cover loose? Most people do not realize the cover is not vented. That diaphragm bellow in the gasket cover with the vent to the top side is how system works. Since you are starting from totally scratch, let it just gravity bleed first. Then break they banjo on the master. Be real careful if not using dot 5. What did the cylinder bore look like? Most new rebuild kits come complete cylinder and piston. What did you use. The quickest way is to do the master with a tube to the reservoir. Then the line hookup.

Old 10-05-2013, 02:46 PM
prplglide
Tourer

Yes. Both covers were loose, even off for a while. I started out by back bleeding and got most of the air out that way.

Using DOT 5 fluid.

By checking the cylinder bore, I assume you mean the front brake, right? If so, the whole assembly (lever, reservoir, and master cylinder) was purchased as a whole. No assembly required.

As for the rear master, it was a complete master kit. Just install it and "go". As it only fits in the reservoir one way (due to the tab) it was kinda hard to not get it right.

Thanks for your quick response!

Old 10-08-2013, 01:55 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Bleeding brakes is a frequent problem in my long experience! They will either do it with little protest, or put up a real fight. Persistence pays and you can find help in the Stickies in the DIY Brakes forum.

Old 10-09-2013, 12:37 PM
prplglide
Tourer

@grbrown:

I actually used one of your tips. Turn bars all the way to the left so that the m/c is at the highest point.

There was a bunch of air that came out that way! Thanks!

And you are right about it going really fast, or taking forever. Mine are going the latter route.

Thanks for the help, guys!

Old 10-23-2013, 06:54 PM
Carl '69
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 695 Likes on 338 Posts

Tried using a vacuum pump? Pretty cheap, most place & the only way I've found to reliably bleed braided lines w/o cursing up a blue streak & throwing things.