Wheels/Tires Questions and discussion about wheels and tires should be posted here.

Changing Tires with Windex and Zip Ties ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 07:06 AM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Changing Tires with Windex and Zip Ties ?

I came across these videos this morning. I apologize if this is old news, but I've certainly never seen or heard of it before. This guy gets his tires off and on the rim using Windex and zip ties, and no tools.

Old 07-20-2013, 05:07 PM
oneballz
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats hilarious!
White trash using blue jeans laid on the sidewalk so he doesn't scratch his rims.
Only reason he used Windex is cuz he can't use palmolive on windows. He uses Windex on the dishes.

Old 07-23-2013, 11:00 AM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 161 Posts

I actually tried it yesterday and it works. I had some time to kill after watching the video, so I pulled out my HF tire changer, removed a tire that I had , breaking the bead is still a pita, got the tire off with the bar, put ty wraps in 4 spots on the tire cinches tight, I cheated and used silicone spray and just about pushed the tire back on the rim. I had to use a tire iron for the last bit, but it was a breeze compared to the standard way of mounting the tire. I wouldn't wrestle with it on the ground and risk scratching the rim up either.,,

Old 07-26-2015, 07:26 PM
EasternSP
Banned
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 24,871 Likes on 9,333 Posts

Yeah, I know, the last post was in 2013, but I'm wrestling with tryin to mount a new Dunlap on the rear wheel or a Road King. I wouldn't be surprised if I found out the tire was for a 15" rim. This is a cast iron bitch tryin to mount. I'm using the Harbour Freight stand with motorcycle adapter, the NoMarr Bar, and the slippery soap. I can get about 3/4 of the way around the rim and that's it. It won't budge another fraction of an inch. I have it all lathered with the soap. I'm putting my 240lbs behind it. The NoMar bar keeps popping out of the bead. The yellow thing just slips along the rim as if it were designed to do that instead of keeping the tire from coming back over the bead. I'm using two wood clamps to squeeze the tire together opposite the side of the tire that I have not been able to slip over the bead.
Actually it even very difficult getting the first side of the tire over the rim. I have to use the NoMar Bar to do that and that is no easy task. All these videos show the guy just putting a little weight on the tire and it pops right onto the rim with no tools. I've been screwing around with this for 4 hours this afternoon and have finally given up. I'm taking the wheel to a shop to see if they can do it.