Wheels/Tires Questions and discussion about wheels and tires should be posted here.

Changing 1" bearings to 25mm

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2013 | 09:17 PM
02fx4dude
|
Road Master
Default Changing 1" bearings to 25mm

I have a cast front wheel off a 2007 Low Rider, originaly came with 1" axle/bearings, would like to switch to 25mm bearings.
few questions

1. The 1" bearings are 21mm wide, so I want to use the 21mm wide 25mm bearings. I can't seem to find a HD part number for the wider 25mm bearings? Can anyone recommend a decent quality manufacturer and part number? Ebay has plenty of bearings to be found but I'm not sure which are good quality and what is crap.

2. The stock spacer sleeve is for the 1" bearings, can I use the same sleeve with a 25mm axle? I assume yes but I figured I shoud ask.

3. Looking to get a Pit Posse VT102 to pull the old bearings and install the new ones. Anyone here have any experience with that tool? good/bad/other?

Thanks

Old 04-24-2013 | 09:20 PM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Community Team

Originally Posted by 02fx4dude
I have a cast front wheel off a 2007 Low Rider, originaly came with 1" axle/bearings, would like to switch to 25mm bearings.
few questions

1. The 1" bearings are 21mm wide, so I want to use the 21mm wide 25mm bearings. I can't seem to find a HD part number for the wider 25mm bearings? Can anyone recommend a decent quality manufacturer and part number? Ebay has plenty of bearings to be found but I'm not sure which are good quality and what is crap.

2. The stock spacer sleeve is for the 1" bearings, can I use the same sleeve with a 25mm axle? I assume yes but I figured I shoud ask.

3. Looking to get a Pit Posse VT102 to pull the old bearings and install the new ones. Anyone here have any experience with that tool? good/bad/other?

Thanks
I have to ask why? You are opening up a can of worms for no apparent reason but I may be missing something.

I have not seen any 25mm x 25mm bearings; all that I have seen are 15mm wide which affects inner and outer wheel spacers and rotor/caliper alignment. Not saying you can't find the bearing you need; I just haven't run across one. SKF, Nachi, Timken or NSK all make good bearings. Any bearing made in Japan and, yes, even some from China will work.

You can definitely use the 25mm inner spacer. The Pit Posse VT102 is like any other wheel bearing R/R tool and will work.

If I were you, I would follow the KISS principle, that is unless there is something forcing the change. JMHO.

Old 04-25-2013 | 04:47 AM
02fx4dude
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by djl
I have to ask why? You are opening up a can of worms for no apparent reason but I may be missing something.

I have not seen any 25mm x 25mm bearings; all that I have seen are 15mm wide which affects inner and outer wheel spacers and rotor/caliper alignment. Not saying you can't find the bearing you need; I just haven't run across one. SKF, Nachi, Timken or NSK all make good bearings. Any bearing made in Japan and, yes, even some from China will work.

You can definitely use the 25mm inner spacer. The Pit Posse VT102 is like any other wheel bearing R/R tool and will work.

If I were you, I would follow the KISS principle, that is unless there is something forcing the change. JMHO.
There's nothing forcing the change, I want to put the stock Low Rider wheels back on my Low Rider. However, the front end I attached a few years ago has a 25mm axle.

Was hoping I could get a recommendation on manufacturer. Like I said, I can find the 21mm wide bearings at a number of places but nailing down a good brand is a challenge. In some cases they don't list the manufacturer. So far Drag specialties and HBC are two brands I've found. I assume drag specialties is just rebadged something, but what?

I'll go ahead and use the 1" spacer then.

Thanks

Old 04-25-2013 | 07:37 AM
CouchMaster
Cruiser

The difference between 1.00" and 25mm is 0.0157".
I'll probably take a hit for this, but if it were my bike I'd put the wheel on with the 1" bearings and the 25mm axle - bolt everything up good and tight - and go riding...

Old 04-25-2013 | 10:05 AM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Community Team

Originally Posted by 02fx4dude
There's nothing forcing the change, I want to put the stock Low Rider wheels back on my Low Rider. However, the front end I attached a few years ago has a 25mm axle.

Was hoping I could get a recommendation on manufacturer. Like I said, I can find the 21mm wide bearings at a number of places but nailing down a good brand is a challenge. In some cases they don't list the manufacturer. So far Drag specialties and HBC are two brands I've found. I assume drag specialties is just rebadged something, but what?

I'll go ahead and use the 1" spacer then.

Thanks
I provided four manufacturer's in my previous post. I am sure if you call Drag and HBC, they will provide the original manufacturer.

I would not use the 1" bearings with the 25mm axles. JMHO

Old 04-25-2013 | 05:38 PM
02fx4dude
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by djl
I provided four manufacturer's in my previous post. I am sure if you call Drag and HBC, they will provide the original manufacturer.

I would not use the 1" bearings with the 25mm axles. JMHO
yes, you did mention four well known brands of quality bearings, thank you.