Wheels/Tires Questions and discussion about wheels and tires should be posted here.

TIRE LIFE -need definite answer

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 02:33 PM
deuceriderusa
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default TIRE LIFE -need definite answer

A while back I was reading posts about tire life. The general concensus was that even though a tire still has a sufficient amount of tread, it can still get "old" and lose its gripping qualities. These riders switch out after 3-5 years. More recently, however, several guys were of the opinion that tread was the determining factor, moreso than age. They said going beyond 5 years was not out of the question. At this point, I need some real insight into this discrepancy of opinion. Has there been any testing or studies done on this topic? Maybe just personal experience would be of value. I'm sure those of you who've been riding a lot longer than me (10+yrs) can shed some light on this. Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 03-04-2013, 02:48 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 276 Likes on 240 Posts

Each tire mfg has a tire life expectancy, but not always and an expiration date. Most state a tire that is 5+ years old it is reccomended to be replaced. this is mostly due to uvUV deterioration. Bikers generaly will not install a 1-2 year old tire to begin with when there are fresh tires avail. As far as tread wear, most modern MC tires have wear bars ti indicate tire is worn out.

Old 03-06-2013, 05:29 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts

I have never come across any legally binding definition regarding tyre life, but the advice I have seen comes from various sources. Things like boat trailers and the like often do low mileages, get left outdoors and can have a tough life and the advice I have seen for them is to change at 6-7 years. I reckon that is the backstop!

As for cars and bikes I have seen shorter intervals such as five years recommended. Frankly if you inspect a tyre of that age you will probably find the rubber is getting hard and cracks are appearing in the sidewalls and tread. There are threads in HDF with owners of 2012 bikes having tyre problems!

I would be surprised if you will get a black and white answer. Be certain however that just because a tyre has a lot of tread on it doesn't make it safe! An awful lot hangs on that ring of black.....

Old 03-06-2013, 06:24 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,120 Likes on 3,658 Posts

Since tires are made with latex rubber which is a natural product, it will deteriorate at different rates depending on : Temperatues, humidity, sunlight and wear...There isn't a defenite answer because the variables are way to high...Bottom line is if your tire is at 6 years, you should change it...there are only 2 on the bike so why take the chance....You might be able to leave it on the bike for 15 years but are you gonna be the test subject? Not me...

Old 03-06-2013, 06:56 AM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

There are a lot of determining factors on how fast rubber deteriorates. How much UV its been exposed to, etc... If the sidewalls shows signs of drying out (cracking) its time to change. 5yrs beyond the manufacture date is a worse case scenario. Ive seen the rubber stems on car tires crack a lot quicker than the tires

Old 03-06-2013, 08:17 AM
3408pete
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I try to put a limit of 3 years on a tire before it goes away no matter the miles.the reason being that is when most tire makers lose liability on workmanship.I used to not worry in the 70s but the atmosphere has changed.

Old 03-06-2013, 08:41 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,984 Likes on 4,175 Posts

Originally Posted by deuceriderusa
A while back I was reading posts about tire life. The general concensus was that even though a tire still has a sufficient amount of tread, it can still get "old" and lose its gripping qualities. These riders switch out after 3-5 years. More recently, however, several guys were of the opinion that tread was the determining factor, moreso than age. They said going beyond 5 years was not out of the question. At this point, I need some real insight into this discrepancy of opinion. Has there been any testing or studies done on this topic? Maybe just personal experience would be of value. I'm sure those of you who've been riding a lot longer than me (10+yrs) can shed some light on this. Thanks in advance for your help.
need definite answer?? There is not one. Manufactures give 5 years. If bike sits in garage out of UF sun rays it can go longer. My friend bought a custom built bike that set in there display window in all day sun 3 years. Go a real deal on it but the brand new front tire was ringed with sidewall cracks. The tread area and outer on a bike tire is mostly real latex rubber for traction but they wear pretty fast and even in the Harley Dunlops vary greatly in how fast depending on model of tire since Harley specs their tires for type of bike. My rear wears almost 3 times as fast as front and is actual a different numbers since the small 21" is not considered a performance tire like the back. Also remember there is a inner air liner and a few sidewall cracks will not hurt if money is tight but I would not run them or patched tires. Also the tread area is for water displacement and state inspection. There is actual just as much solid rubber once the tread area is gone before the cord belts so it is safe to run it till the wear indicators show or if you only run in dry weather. Lot of 'if' there. I ran my last rear down to indicators and it handled like crap in the turns rolling off the flat and then a chain dropped out of a truck and of course trying to dodge it nailed it an it took a chunk all the way to the cords out. (it also knocked two 1/8" hunks of aluminum out of the engine base just below regulator. Jerk was running with his tail gate down thinking he was saving fuel I guess )