Wheels/Tires Questions and discussion about wheels and tires should be posted here.

Cracks In Side Walls

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 04:22 PM
So-Cal Street Glide
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cracks In Side Walls

Hoping to get some feed back from some of you more experienced guys out there.

I recently bought a new front tire for my 11 SG from my local steelership and yes i did buy the stock HD tire, this was just a few months ago (about than 3)
I noticed the other day while cleaning the bike that there are several cracks in the side walls on both sides, nothing huge yet or really deep but I dont recall seeing them in the original tire or on the rear.
My question is,
is this something to be concerned about and bring back to the dealership or am I making a bigger deal out of it than I should?

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.

Old 11-26-2012, 04:34 PM
1sicmofo
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by So-Cal Street Glide
Hoping to get some feed back from some of you more experienced guys out there.

I recently bought a new front tire for my 11 SG from my local steelership and yes i did buy the stock HD tire, this was just a few months ago (about than 3)
I noticed the other day while cleaning the bike that there are several cracks in the side walls on both sides, nothing huge yet or really deep but I dont recall seeing them in the original tire or on the rear.
My question is,
is this something to be concerned about and bring back to the dealership or am I making a bigger deal out of it than I should?

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.
i would take that tire back cracks any where in a tire are NOT GOOD !!!!

Old 11-26-2012, 06:14 PM
lonestarboneyard
4th Gear

Sounds like the stealership sold you a dry-rotted tire. Probably had a whole pile of them sitting out back in the sun for god-knows-how-long before they it to you

Old 11-27-2012, 09:58 AM
So-Cal Street Glide
Road Captain

Thanks guys I will head back to the dealership and hopefully get them to give me a new tire.

Old 11-27-2012, 10:05 AM
No Name Motorcycle Shop
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dunlop says cracks in the tread are from improper inflation and cracks in the sidewall is dry rot. Depending upon your mileage/tire life this should be warrantable. Something you will want to check is the last 4 digits on the DOT code they indicate the manufacturing date for the tire. IE (1412) means the tire was made on the 14 week of 2012. If the dealership is unwilling to take care of it I would recommend you call Dunlop direct.

Old 11-27-2012, 10:17 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,037 Likes on 4,223 Posts

Actual cracks are a sign of. Age (should be a date on tire) 5 year in service and exposed to UV (sun) is max. Using spray on tire shine petroleum product. Manufactors defects in processing. I would take it to the dealer. Dunlop will make good on it if it's in warranty. I keep cars and stuff forever and have learned old tires will fail, usually with a bubble but on a motorcycle this can get you killed.

Old 11-30-2012, 04:19 AM
bab1962
Novice

Not only happens on a store bought new tire it happened on my buddies new bike!! He had the bike about 3 months and we were cleaning them up one afternoon and I noticed this crack that was about a foot long on his front tire. Long story short dealership made it good but in a kind of under-handed way.

Old 11-30-2012, 11:56 AM
So-Cal Street Glide
Road Captain

So here is an update for all of you.
I called my Local dealership where I purchased the tire and had it installed, they told me to bring it in for inspection, which I already knew they would say but the part that pisses me off is that they said if the tire is defective they will change it out for me but i will have to pay for the shop labor because it doesn't fall under my warranty because only the tire is warranted, WTF? So in short if the tire was replaced due to road hazard I wouldn't pay a cent but since I paid for a tire due to wear I have to absorb the labor costs.
Does this sound like a load of crap or am I just being overly sensitive?

Old 11-30-2012, 12:03 PM
ElectraGlideSteve
Road Warrior
Received 93 Likes on 61 Posts

So if THEY put a defective tire on the bike, you have to pay labor to install and balance the replacement tire?
Not your fault for them installing a dry rotted old tire on your bike.
I would have a sit down with the service manager. No satisfaction? Keep going up the chain until you get to the owner.

The tire is only 3 months old, it needs to be replaced due to nothing that YOU did.
There is no way you should be paying for anything related to replacing that tire.

Old 11-30-2012, 01:08 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,037 Likes on 4,223 Posts

Originally Posted by So-Cal Street Glide
am I just being overly sensitive?
Sadly yes but I fill your pain and I would be pisses. The dealer can eats this a whole lot easier then you. That is why I guess you call them stealer's. That is polite for what I think about then around here. Starts with a 'c 'for my terms of endearment. . But is right on the tire site under warranty. Bet if it's obvious you did not damage it (being on both sides and if directly across he is going to think you pot holed it) he will not charge you.

Dunlop tire warranty UP TO 50% WORN
If, during the first fifty percent (50%) of tread wear, the tire becomes serviceable for a condition covered by this warranty, it will be replaced with a comparable new Dunlop tire. You pay only for retailer services, such as mounting and balancing.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 11-30-2012 at 01:10 PM.

Quick Reply: Cracks In Side Walls