Wheels/Tires Questions and discussion about wheels and tires should be posted here.

Best wheels for the money?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 07:39 AM
HD32141
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Best wheels for the money?

I live in the Daytona area and Biketoberfest just passed. I have been looking at wheels. The vendors at bike events want $3k-4k for a pair. This seems ridiculous. Especially for something that I'll have to polish frequently or the chrome will decay in a year or so.

What is the consensus on the best wheel manufacturer for the money?

Old 10-30-2012, 07:41 AM
Ground Shaker
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a big fan of the DNA mammoth wheels. Well priced also.

Old 10-30-2012, 08:03 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

There is no such thing as 'best'. You really have to decide what you are looking for then hunt down something that works for you. We have at least one wheel supplier who is an HDF sponsor.

Old 10-30-2012, 09:24 AM
HD32141
Tourer

Originally Posted by grbrown
You really have to decide what you are looking for then hunt down something that works for you.
This sounds like political gobbeldygoop and makes no sense.

I have obviously decided what I'm looking for- wheels. What will work for me is a brand that will last at a fair price. What I'm looking for is value for my money.

I've seen chromed stuff rust quickly and polished stuff look tarnished quickly. There are different quality levels of chrome and aluminum finishing. The polished amunimum M6 wheels on my wife's car still look great after several years.

I'm asking for opinions on quality and value.

Old 10-30-2012, 09:52 AM
lgenf
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I like my PM wheels

chrome is good, style was awesome and they have been around for years so I am not worried about them going anywhere

several of our sponsors sell them as well so there are always deals to get them

I bought mine last year at Bike Week direct from PM at their trailer parked at Destintion Daytona

It seems the other post about what you want and your dismissal of that post was not deep enough for you.

so do you want chrome, do you want spokes, do you want contrast cut

many of the wheel companys specialize in a certain kind of wheel

Southern wheels are good but limited to contrast cut, PM has always been a great name in wheels and mostly they have good chrome.

Old 10-30-2012, 11:47 AM
HD32141
Tourer

OK- good info. Thanks for the patience.

As a related question, will the HD Extended Warranty cover any tires I put on these wheels? As in if I buy a packaged deal with Avons or Metzlers?

Old 11-12-2012, 07:41 AM
tidbit1
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I was in Daytona for Biketoberfest and found my wheels at Bruce Rossmeyers dealership. Coastal Moto was set up inside the dealership and was installing purchases at their location South on 1 next to Corbin. They had some nice choices and great prices IMO. I bought the Raider for my Street Glide and they shipped my OEM home to me. They are a sponsor on here. Check them out since you are in the area. Great to do business with and a good product.

Old 11-14-2012, 10:26 AM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

I am assuming that you live near the ocean. Therefore you will need to put more effort and energy into keeping you wheels clean in order to keep the chrome (assuming you want chrome) from pitting and such. Wheels cost what they cost and most people do not understand that companies that make and sell wheels do not have near the profit that people think we do. Depending on what you want to get, what brand, what finish, what size wheels, how many rotors, tires, etc we can make you a great package deal price, but it seems you should decide if this is something you want to do first as you sound hesitant.

Any high quality wheel still needs to be cleaned on a regular basis in order to keep the finish as it is new. Several coats of wax are always helpful to keep the finish nice. For someone who rides a lot and does not ever clean their bike it is questionable if this upgrade is worth it. However, mag wheels do not take a ton of maintenance to stay nice and clean.

Old 11-20-2012, 03:39 PM
No Name Motorcycle Shop
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IMO. The best priced wheels are the H-D Chrome 9 spokes for about $550 a wheel, then the Agitator/Roulette/Anarchy for about $750 per wheel.
In regards to aftermarket we have found PM to be the best of the brands we have used. We never have had a fitment issue. We have installed several sets mostly on baggers of the Wrath/Heathen/Torque/Rival/Luxe in chrome and in their CC Platinum series. They always fit and they are always in great condition.

We have used Renegade and RC Components as well as they offer some cool styles. We have had several fitment issues w/ RC because they sent the wrong hub. With Renegade we hade some issues w/ their Elite Series not sealing. I like the Renegade Tahoe and Trinity for style and from RC the Holeshot.