Wheels/Tires Questions and discussion about wheels and tires should be posted here.

Michelin Commander II = NOT IMPRESSED!

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 01:57 PM
2011FLHX103
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 02Deuces
All of my other bikes I usually ran at 40 and 40.....(the pressure they are at now is what the indy put them at when the tires where installed)
Air pressure is the same as your stock tires per Michelin.

Old 10-09-2012, 02:12 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts

Look on the tires. They will have a max PSI listed. 30, 34 sounds extremely low to me for pressures. I have commanders in a different size and run 40 and 42 psi.

Old 10-15-2012, 08:12 AM
JohnC FXDX
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 02Deuces
All of my other bikes I usually ran at 40 and 40.....(the pressure they are at now is what the indy put them at when the tires where installed)
I think that is part of your problem. I can't believe you start ripping on a tire when you can't even check your own tire pressure properly. I have a Dyna, lighter than your Deuce, and I run 40-42 in the rear. The first thing I did after getting my tires put on was set the tire pressure to where it is supposed to be. You can't rely on someone else and then complain. I've had mine in the rain up to 90+ mph, dry handling chasing two buddies on sport bikes and rode home the first day with them in the rain. I doubt I will ever use another tire.

Old 10-29-2012, 04:43 PM
Flying Horse
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I too have the Commanders and while they are decent they aren't any better than the DunLops. Damn dealer insisted they would be better over steel bridges, etc......NOT!

Old 10-29-2012, 04:57 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,966 Likes on 4,159 Posts

Running a Michelin on the back of my Deuce. Only difference I have noticed is I though it feels a little smoother but my Lop I took off was a worn out mess and had been for a while. I do not ride aggressive however and slow way down in the wet. I sure don't drag pegs. One interesting note is my 04 is a 160 x 17. The Lop had a good 1/4 wider rib to make the tire look wider. The 160 Michelin measures a good 3/8" smaller on the width but the actually tread radius and area is the same. However it looks like a 150. I do the James River steel span at Newport News VA and bike moves a good 12" or more to the left time your off it at 55. Same as the Lop. The are presently replaceing the grate.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 10-29-2012 at 05:00 PM.
Old 11-01-2012, 04:39 PM
No Name Motorcycle Shop
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting news. We have been selling the Commander II recently. We have a customer that is in charge of maintaining police fleet bikes for 2 counties in the Northern Virginia area. He also is a ride instructor for those police departments. He was just telling us that they put the Commander II's on one of the police baggers and his time through one of their courses improved and he was able to keep a higher speed on the turns.
Word is that Metzeler is working on a new version of their ME880 to be competitive with the Commander II. Maybe the difference is not only the bike but the way an individual rides the bike. I don't know. Anyway I thought I would throw that out.

Old 11-01-2012, 09:30 PM
olddad64
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Commander II Tires

I rode some of the Blue Ridge Parkway last week and The Tail Of The Dragon at the TN-NC Border area and my Commander II held the road really well in every one of the 318 turns of the Dragons 11 miles and i rode it hard too.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:13 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 10,339 Likes on 5,486 Posts

It did not do so good when compared to Dunlop on wet road on conerning of much else.
But it cool to tell everyone you took the Dunlops off and put on Michelins or some other brand.
Tried the others Dunlop for my HD and the miles I ride.
And another thing to think about.
. Dunlop has been building tires in Buffalo, NY, since 1920, and to this day is the only manufacturer to build motorcycle tires in the USA.

Read if you want
http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/info...p-vs-michelin/

Last edited by smitty901; 11-02-2012 at 06:59 AM.
Old 11-02-2012, 02:08 PM
M&P340
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Skip's Speed & Custom Cycles
Interesting news. We have been selling the Commander II recently. We have a customer that is in charge of maintaining police fleet bikes for 2 counties in the Northern Virginia area. He also is a ride instructor for those police departments. He was just telling us that they put the Commander II's on one of the police baggers and his time through one of their courses improved and he was able to keep a higher speed on the turns. . .
I can certianly believe that! As would anyone who's run the Dunlop PT cop tires. I have em on my FXDP, and that sucker is totally dangerous at cornering, particularly in the wet. The sidewalls are so stiff, there's no give or side-conformance at all on a turn. The spec pressure is 30/36, and when I first got the bike, I was too lazy to check the tire pressure. They looked fine. No squat at all. Rode fine dry. A week afterward when I did check em, realized they had 10/12. Whooppps! So I aired em up to spec. Rode no differently at all, looked exactly the same.

Old 11-02-2012, 02:44 PM
02Deuces
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

^^ exactly the same issue I am having with my II's on the Deuce....

Hasn't rained again since my last post about the tires...so we shall see if 2000 miles worth of scrub in will improve wet traction....my guess will be no...

Quick Reply: Michelin Commander II = NOT IMPRESSED!