Wheels/Tires Questions and discussion about wheels and tires should be posted here.

heLP... Problems with 2012 Softail Deluxe and the Motor Comp. has no idea what wrong.

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 07:34 PM
ggreco0313
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default heLP... Problems with 2012 Softail Deluxe and the Motor Comp. has no idea what wrong.

Ok let me start by saying i purchased a brand new 2012 HD softail deluxe. At around 800 miles i felt a wobble in handlebars going about 55-60mph. I made appointment with dealer to fix along with 1000 mile tune up. Ok this is wher it all starts. As for the wobble i had a few spokes loose on the rear wheel. Dealer said this is normal in softails and sportsters. After mechanic took bike out for test drive he found that the bike pulls to the left. They said further diag. was needed to fix the prob. So as of this moment we know there is an issue. Dealer checked front end, fallaway adjustment and axle alignment. BIKE STILL PULLING TO LEFT. Dealer speaks to HD tech services and they suggest to replace rear wheel to rectify issue. BIKE STILL PULLING TO LEFT. Upon further inspection mechanic found slight bend in front wheel and said that could be causing the pulling, so they went ahead and replaced the front wheel as well. Guess what guys BIKE STILL PULLING TO LEFT. Heres is where it gets good. Dealer is obviously exhausted most of there options so they state the the bike pulls when your hands are of the handlebars. (This is them trying to cover there ***) The problem is evident even with a loose grip having both hands on the handlebars. Next dealer speaks to motor comp again and said that it is because of the Samson True duel exhaust. So they went ahead and put stock exhaust back on only to find out the yes, BIKE IS STILL PULLING TO THE LEFT. I testroad the bike myself and felt the pull. Now they are stating that it is only felt when hands are off the handlebars so that is what i did. I also road the bike with hands on handlebars and still feel the pull. The dealer basically stated to me that they do not get paid to look into it any deeper they are only going by what the motor comp tells them. (as we know they dont get paid to think outside the box) The sad part it that the service manager , mechanic and everyone else at dealer knows that this is beyond normal but wont admit to it because they dont know whats wrong with it. So there conclusion was that the bike doesnt pull if you havr a tight trip on handlebars.
Now lets get realistic we have all driven a car that if off alignment and if we grip the steering wheel of a car that is off alignment we can make the car go straight down the road. Correct me if i wrong but this same concept goes for a motorcycle as well. Best part is that it pulls with both hands on handlebars unless you make it go straight.
so i pickup the bike after being in service for almost a month, later that evening i rode the bike for 50-60 miles and yep you guessed no difference.
The next day i returned the bike to dealer in which they refused to take bike in because they stated that they need to be instructed by the motor comp on what to do. That day i spoke to everyone in the dealer from service manager to sales manager to mechanic to customers that were just waiting for there bikes.
The mechanic clearly knows theres a problem along with the service manager which got fired and admit to it but there excuse is the motor comp doesnt pay them to look deeper into it.
So that tells me its all about who is getting paid. About a week later dealer called me to bring bike back because tech services wanted to try something else. (I did call the motor comp and notified them about this complaint but honestly there customer service was very helpful) So the bike goes back in and they adjusted the front wheel offset and the rear wheel offset. And again BIKE IS STILL PULLING TO LEFT. While the bike was in service this time the found that the neck bearing had notches in it. Now like a stated in the beginning this bike is brand new with 800 miles on A NECK BEARING, REALLY. So they replaced the neck bearing as well.
Now it seems to me that they all know there is a problem because there are trying to fix it but when something doesnt work to default back and say "only felt when hands are off handlebars".
Round 3, Bike comes home with me dealer said they again need to hear from the motor comp so tech services decides they are going to fly up from corp to ride the bike. Well if you ask me there must be a problem with the bike. So again bike goes back into service, tech services is up in NY from corp to ride bike and take guess and what there answer is
Both hands need to be on handlebars.
Has anyone ever had this experience with the motor comp?
Please feel free to give me all your input on this.
Ask me questions?
My stomach is turned upside down over this. I purchased this bike for 25k with all upgrades all i am being treated like i just bought a Schwinn.

Please any feedback would be appreciated.....

Old 09-25-2012, 11:14 AM
00FattyT
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I would save every bit of paperwork and go contact a lawyer because I would be damned if I paid for a brand new bike and it have those kind of problems. I would fight to get a different bike because there is obvious a problem somewhere and they can not solve it. you could take your hands off the handlebars on my '00 fatboy and the thing would ride straight as an arrow

Old 09-26-2012, 12:37 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Here in the UK we can declare an item 'not fit for purpose' and either demand a replacement or our money back. I don't know if you can do that over there, but that is something you can try. Tell them that as they can't fix it can you have a replacement? Be polite!

Old 09-26-2012, 01:20 PM
wtrfwl havoc
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 00FattyT
I would save every bit of paperwork and go contact a lawyer because I would be damned if I paid for a brand new bike and it have those kind of problems. I would fight to get a different bike because there is obvious a problem somewhere and they can not solve it. you could take your hands off the handlebars on my '00 fatboy and the thing would ride straight as an arrow
I agree. I bet once you gor your ducks in a row and a lawyer started contacting your local dealer, and the company. It wouldnt be long before they started trying to rectify the situation. A bike that mechanically proper does not pull. I ride my bikes for miles sometimes without any hands on the bars and it tracks straight down the road. It has a problem and i would not take no for an answer

Old 09-26-2012, 01:38 PM
rpbrown
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Not sure about NY but in Texas we have a lemon law. If you return it 3 times for the same problem you can force them to give you a new one.

Old 09-26-2012, 01:42 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

does it have a windshield on it? if so, take the windshield off and go ride it again and see what it does.

Old 09-26-2012, 01:49 PM
Sammi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

This site says motorcycles are included in the New York Lemon Law.

http://www.lemonlaw.com/new-york-lem...questions.html

Sammi

Old 09-26-2012, 01:50 PM
Clayvis
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Bummer. Have they looked to see if something is out of whack with the forks or triple trees? Sounds like a front end problem of some kind. Either that or a bent frame? Hope they sort it out or swap it for a new one for ya....Might need to get a lawyer involved as a last resort..

Old 09-30-2012, 05:56 AM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Go the lemon law route. when you start you will get action

Old 10-02-2012, 05:53 PM
land of giants
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ggreco0313
Ok let me start by saying i purchased a brand new 2012 HD softail deluxe. At around 800 miles i felt a wobble in handlebars going about 55-60mph. I made appointment with dealer to fix along with 1000 mile tune up. Ok this is wher it all starts. As for the wobble i had a few spokes loose on the rear wheel. Dealer said this is normal in softails and sportsters. After mechanic took bike out for test drive he found that the bike pulls to the left. They said further diag. was needed to fix the prob. So as of this moment we know there is an issue. Dealer checked front end, fallaway adjustment and axle alignment. BIKE STILL PULLING TO LEFT. Dealer speaks to HD tech services and they suggest to replace rear wheel to rectify issue. BIKE STILL PULLING TO LEFT. Upon further inspection mechanic found slight bend in front wheel and said that could be causing the pulling, so they went ahead and replaced the front wheel as well. Guess what guys BIKE STILL PULLING TO LEFT. Heres is where it gets good. Dealer is obviously exhausted most of there options so they state the the bike pulls when your hands are of the handlebars. (This is them trying to cover there ***) The problem is evident even with a loose grip having both hands on the handlebars. Next dealer speaks to motor comp again and said that it is because of the Samson True duel exhaust. So they went ahead and put stock exhaust back on only to find out the yes, BIKE IS STILL PULLING TO THE LEFT. I testroad the bike myself and felt the pull. Now they are stating that it is only felt when hands are off the handlebars so that is what i did. I also road the bike with hands on handlebars and still feel the pull. The dealer basically stated to me that they do not get paid to look into it any deeper they are only going by what the motor comp tells them. (as we know they dont get paid to think outside the box) The sad part it that the service manager , mechanic and everyone else at dealer knows that this is beyond normal but wont admit to it because they dont know whats wrong with it. So there conclusion was that the bike doesnt pull if you havr a tight trip on handlebars.
Now lets get realistic we have all driven a car that if off alignment and if we grip the steering wheel of a car that is off alignment we can make the car go straight down the road. Correct me if i wrong but this same concept goes for a motorcycle as well. Best part is that it pulls with both hands on handlebars unless you make it go straight.
so i pickup the bike after being in service for almost a month, later that evening i rode the bike for 50-60 miles and yep you guessed no difference.
The next day i returned the bike to dealer in which they refused to take bike in because they stated that they need to be instructed by the motor comp on what to do. That day i spoke to everyone in the dealer from service manager to sales manager to mechanic to customers that were just waiting for there bikes.
The mechanic clearly knows theres a problem along with the service manager which got fired and admit to it but there excuse is the motor comp doesnt pay them to look deeper into it.
So that tells me its all about who is getting paid. About a week later dealer called me to bring bike back because tech services wanted to try something else. (I did call the motor comp and notified them about this complaint but honestly there customer service was very helpful) So the bike goes back in and they adjusted the front wheel offset and the rear wheel offset. And again BIKE IS STILL PULLING TO LEFT. While the bike was in service this time the found that the neck bearing had notches in it. Now like a stated in the beginning this bike is brand new with 800 miles on A NECK BEARING, REALLY. So they replaced the neck bearing as well.
Now it seems to me that they all know there is a problem because there are trying to fix it but when something doesnt work to default back and say "only felt when hands are off handlebars".
Round 3, Bike comes home with me dealer said they again need to hear from the motor comp so tech services decides they are going to fly up from corp to ride the bike. Well if you ask me there must be a problem with the bike. So again bike goes back into service, tech services is up in NY from corp to ride bike and take guess and what there answer is
Both hands need to be on handlebars.
Has anyone ever had this experience with the motor comp?
Please feel free to give me all your input on this.
Ask me questions?
My stomach is turned upside down over this. I purchased this bike for 25k with all upgrades all i am being treated like i just bought a Schwinn.

Please any feedback would be appreciated.....
Gather all your documentation, dealer service receipts, notes, names and dates and file a lemon law case on them.
Tell them you want a new replacement, they do it on occassion, the squeaky wheel gets the grease.
I know, you've already been greased! But try it and see.
I'm surprised they did not tell you it was normal for this model!

They told me that for same isuue on my 2010 NEW Road King.
I told them i thought neck bearings were too loose, they said no, passed the fall away test.
So I sent for a tech to come, I adjusted my neck bearings a few days prior, which cured my problem. Tech drove it and said it was fine, that's when I told him i fixed it by adjusting neck bearings!

Last edited by land of giants; 10-02-2012 at 05:56 PM.

Quick Reply: heLP... Problems with 2012 Softail Deluxe and the Motor Comp. has no idea what wrong.