Wheels/Tires Questions and discussion about wheels and tires should be posted here.

Cheapest tire brand you would actually run

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 08:23 PM
Panthers65
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cheapest tire brand you would actually run

Yes, I'm being a cheap *** right now. Had a couple more miles out of my rear ME880 when I picked up a 2" self taping screw on the way home today. The tire isn't going flat yet, but the screw was about an inch into the tire at an angle, and I don't trust the tube anymore.

Whats the cheapest brand tire you would run. I have a mounter/balancer, I just need something to get me through a few thousand miles until I get some cash.

So, what's the cheapest tire that's not complete junk? 90% of my miles are around town putting, rarely push my bike in turns and what not.

Old 08-09-2012, 03:00 AM
01ntrainultra
Advanced

The general consensus is Shinko tires. They are made by a Korean company with the old Yokohama tooling. I was in a tight spot a few years ago and mounted one on my old Night Train. Personally, I had no issues with it. You're gonna get a lot of nay-sayers here, but I think it was a good tire for the $$$.

Old 08-10-2012, 07:49 PM
JohnC FXDX
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My friend had Shinkos on his Ducati when he first bought it. He had to wait a while before he could afford to change them, but they held up better than he expected. They don't handle nearly as well a the Metzlers he has now though.

Old 08-10-2012, 09:18 PM
Lakerat
Road Warrior
Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

Kenda has been satisfactory for a couple of friends I mount tires for. Hell, I'd run them if I was in a pinch, they aren't the greatest, but they seem to wear pretty good. One of them is running a Kenda Kruz on the rear of his hardtail with 18 lbs of air, cupped pretty bad after 8K but he won't replace it til the center is worn out.

Last edited by Lakerat; 08-10-2012 at 09:24 PM.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:43 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Question

Are you saying the screw went into the tyre but didn't cause a puncture? If so it doesn't sound to me as if you need to change your current tyre. If you want belt and braces you could consider plugging the hole with a tubeless plug, then replace the tube with new, if you're worried about it.

However I would remove tyre and tube to inspect them both. If the screw didn't get through into the inside and the tube is unharmed, refit, ride on and forget!

Old 08-13-2012, 07:57 AM
lgenf
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

this one is a new one on me.

I get the finances are in a pinch right now, but how much cheaper are some of the above brands compared with what you want to run?

this is an honest question - so I am not trying to start anything

are the shinko's like a $50 tire and your Brand of choice is like $150? or is it much closer than that in pricing.

Old 08-15-2012, 08:39 AM
JohnC FXDX
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Kenda has been around for a long time with MX and quads. I think I had them on an old TRX 250X. They took a hell of a beaten with no issues at all.

Old 08-15-2012, 11:55 AM
MattcW78
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe you can find a take off with some life left in it

Old 08-21-2012, 11:10 AM
Panthers65
Tourer

Originally Posted by grbrown
Are you saying the screw went into the tyre but didn't cause a puncture? If so it doesn't sound to me as if you need to change your current tyre. If you want belt and braces you could consider plugging the hole with a tubeless plug, then replace the tube with new, if you're worried about it.

However I would remove tyre and tube to inspect them both. If the screw didn't get through into the inside and the tube is unharmed, refit, ride on and forget!
Screw went through the tire, but went in at an angle, so it didn't actually puncture the tube (spoked wheels). Once I got the tire off I found the spot on the tube, there was a good mark, but not punctured. I ran over the screw just under a half mile from my house, so I lucked out there.

Originally Posted by lgenf
this one is a new one on me.

I get the finances are in a pinch right now, but how much cheaper are some of the above brands compared with what you want to run?

this is an honest question - so I am not trying to start anything

are the shinko's like a $50 tire and your Brand of choice is like $150? or is it much closer than that in pricing.
Yea, pretty much. I've run Metzler ME880 for a while on my bike, and I love them. They grip great but they aren't cheap About $140 vs. about $60 for a Shinko.

I've got probably 5K left on my front ME880 before I need to replace it, and i like replacing the front with the rear.

Originally Posted by MattcW78
Maybe you can find a take off with some life left in it
Ended up getting lucky and managed to fit a rear roadking tire on my bike. It's a bigger tire, around a 140 instead of my 130, but after pushing the belt guard around it seems to be working fine. I'll be back to my ME880's before the years up.

Old 09-09-2012, 11:06 PM
deez nuts
Road Captain
Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

On amazon.com I can get a Dunlop rear tire for my dyna for $100. With a deal like that you dont need to go much cheaper. I've run Shinko tires before but they tend to wear out faster so really what do you gain?
Check out amazon they have some great deals and customer reviews that might help you choose.

Hope this helps

Quick Reply: Cheapest tire brand you would actually run