Wheels/Tires Questions and discussion about wheels and tires should be posted here.

Two questions about changing tires

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 03:17 PM
Vinish
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Two questions about changing tires

I plan to remove my own worn-out tires from spoked wheels on an '06 Heritage Softail (FLSTi) and install the new tires/tubes onto the wheels. I have the rim protectors and tire spoons. I also have removed both wheels from the bike already. Once done, I plan to take these to a local bike shop for balancing. This leads me to two questions.

1) Can the tires be removed from the front and back wheels with the brake rotor (front) and the brake rotor and drivebelt pully still attached to the wheel?

2) Can the wheel/tire balancing be done with the brake rotors and drivebelt pully on the wheel?

Thanks and G'day,

Vinish

Old 06-20-2012, 03:25 PM
Wild Card
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

yes and yes, you want all rotating mass balanced, rotors and pulleys are rotating mass.

have him check your spokes while he balancesas well

Old 06-20-2012, 03:35 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts

I no longer change tyres, but get them supplied fitted and balanced by my local Yamaha shop! However you may well find it easier to remove rotors and pulley, as my long experience of changing tyres with irons shows you need that space to work in. As for balancing, there are beads you can install in your tyre yourself, so you could become totally independent. No need to get your wheels balanced. There are even recent posts here in HDF on a new similar product.

Old 06-20-2012, 03:53 PM
Vinish
Advanced

Thanks, guys. I am aware of the Dynabeads or Ride On beads but had heard they are tough to use with a tube. Based on this, I plan to go with the normal balancing approach but may try the Dynabeads in the future.

I really enjoy doing my own work both for the pleasure of doing it yourself and for being as independent of the dealer/shop as possible. Sites like this one and the expert advice offered make this a lot easier.

G'day,

Vinish

Old 06-20-2012, 04:10 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Wink

For spoked wheels you can balance them yourself. All you need is a handful of spoke balance weights and a little patience. You can still be independent!

Old 06-20-2012, 04:17 PM
sonnlaw
Cruiser

I do my own with a harbor freight balancing stand. I made a stand out of an old trailer rim to hold my rim steady and use a mojo lever. First tire I done I busted my tube because it had a wrinkle in it when i inflated it so pay attention. Otherwise it is enjoyable to say hey, I CAN do this and save a few pennies.