Wheels/Tires Questions and discussion about wheels and tires should be posted here.

Brake problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 05:40 PM
marvincbr
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Exclamation Brake problem

I have an 07 RG and have attempted a brembo upgrade using 08 parts on the front brakes. I am having an issue getting the brakes to work properly. The lever will pull firmly and the brakes grab. If I continue to hold the lever, it will gradually, slowly pull all the way down to the grip. It will eventually let the pressure off the disc, allowing the front wheel to spin. I have used a mityvac to bleed the brakes, putting teflon tape on the bleeders, getting good fluid flow to the reservoir. Tried reverse bleeding, using a syringe to force fluid from the caliper bleeder up to the master cylinder, no bubbles coming up. I did not "bench bleed" the master cylinder when I did the install. Is this what is giving me a problem? If it is, how would I correct this? Take the m/c off and start over? I am really frustrated and want to find the problem here and get it taken care of. I appreciate any help and or ideas. Thanks,

Old 03-11-2012, 06:02 PM
Dallas 13
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

In the brakes portion of the Do-it-Yourself Tech section there is a good sticky article on bleeding brakes. I think that is your major issue. You are using the right fluid type? DOT5 components are not always compatible with DOT4 fluid and vice-versa.

Old 03-11-2012, 08:50 PM
marvincbr
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Yep, I went through that. I have found that the master cylinder that I purchased from a chromer is not working correctly for some reason. I installed my original 07 master and problem went away. I will be looking to hone out the bore on the 08 m/c or buying a new one all together. Thanks for the input