Wheels/Tires Questions and discussion about wheels and tires should be posted here.

What if?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 10:45 AM
Glidedsternfan
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question What if?

I've recently read a coupla posts about people picking up nails and having to have (having to have?) their tire replaced.
One guy (poor bastard) had a brand new bike.
The other guy had his mom on the back.
Anyway, if you have tubeless tires, couldn't you throw a plug in it?
Now, with that question "out there", I don't think I would ride on a plugged tire till the tread wore down sufficiently to warrant a new tire but I may ride it till I could squirrel away enough money for the new tire.

Please insert your thoughts here.
Would I be taking a huge risk?
If so, why? Tire plugs have been made for years and years. Surely the manufacturers would have been stopped by the CPA or some other government agency long ago if they were deadly. Right?

GSF

Old 03-10-2012, 10:58 AM
Silver Ghost
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Use at your own risk. ya I've done it, picked up a nail in august, pluged it, rode till end of October, then put a new tire on it, before I put it away. A patch would be better, or one of those patches that has a plug that goes through the hole as well.

Old 03-11-2012, 06:30 PM
Glidedsternfan
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Patch/plug

Unfortunately, the patch with a plug, as I'm sure most would know, has to be put on the inside of the tire.
I agree this would be a better temporary fix but if I had to take the wheel completely off to use it, I would just find the money somewhere to go ahead and replace it. Knowhatimeanvern

GSF

Old 03-12-2012, 10:04 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

After I put in a plug I check it often for a few rides. Then I forget about it and ride until the tire is worn out.

Old 03-13-2012, 05:25 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Wink

I have had my share of nails and screws in tyres over the years. A few have been very small, caused a slow leak and been a devil to locate and fix, but I had one whopper that went in one sidewall and came out the other.

It really does depend on the circumstances. If you pick up a large nail, the damage done while you slow down and stop can wreck the tyre, so no plug or other repair is going to work. Doesn't happen every time, but it has to me a couple of times.

Also most punctures are to the rear tyre, because the front runs over the nail, disturbing it so that if the rear runs over it the nail is much more likely to be picked up and penetrate the tyre. In my experience over nearly 40 years there is no single answer to such things!