Wheels/Tires Questions and discussion about wheels and tires should be posted here.

Metzler issues?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 06:46 PM
Superfly3176
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Only thing I've ever heard bad about metzelers is some people say they've encountered them being "out of round". Whatever that means. But I doubt it's common.

I like the avon's I have not sure if I'll ever try something new unless its an amazingly better deal.

Old 02-12-2012, 07:25 PM
Deucedog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 261 Likes on 136 Posts

I'm running my second set of Metz and have had no problems. They're quieter and better in the rain than my Dunlops were.

Old 02-13-2012, 05:26 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

i can tell you from usage experience that the metzlers are a quieter tire with better traction, better handling, smoother riding tire. the drawback is their compound is softer than that of the stock dunlops so they wear faster. I get about 5-6k out of a rear tire where I was getting close to 9k out of stock dunlop. I'll trade the mileage for better handling and comfort any day!

The avons, wear so much faster than the metzlers do but are also a very good tire.

I have been hearing and reading so much positive feedback about the dunlop elite III tires I think I'll give those a try next go-round.

Either way, don't buy at the dealer.. they are sooooo much cheaper elsewhere.

Kinda makes you wonder if your Indy might have been talking about Metzler tires for crotch rockets?

oh yeah! I was told by several knowledgeable folks here as well as Metzler themselves that when you put these ME880 tires on a heavy touring bike, run 5 lbs more air than what's called for.

Last edited by UltraNutZ; 02-13-2012 at 05:28 PM.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:51 AM
74shovel
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a bad 120-21 on the front of my ultra. It is out of round, I rode it for 1500 mile or so and removed it. I had no satisfaction from Dennis Kirk on warranty. I am going to take it to Daytona and hand it to the Perelli rep and see what excuse they have.

Old 02-06-2013, 09:46 PM
f4dennis
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 74shovel
I had a bad 120-21 on the front of my ultra. It is out of round, I rode it for 1500 mile or so and removed it. I had no satisfaction from Dennis Kirk on warranty. I am going to take it to Daytona and hand it to the Perelli rep and see what excuse they have.
What does the tire being out of round do to the ride?

Old 02-07-2013, 12:56 AM
Jbco2
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You can have a soft tire that handles great but wears fast... Or a hard tire that does not handle as well but lasts longer.
Its hard to have both at the same time.
Coming from a Pirelli dealer (me).

Joe

Old 02-07-2013, 06:11 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,129 Likes on 3,661 Posts

Only problems i hear of Metzellers is them not lasting long...this is the only reason i haven't tried them. I have never had any traction issues out of the Elite III, D402 or Regular commander...Either in rain or hard riding in the NC Hills...Buddy put a Metzeller on his Goldwing because he had a flat and that was the only tire they had that fit....he only got like 4000 miles and it was at the cord...i had to go pick him up with my trailer....That's enough testimony for me...Ain't going there...

Last edited by Notgrownup; 02-07-2013 at 06:15 AM.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:51 AM
Deucedog
Stellar HDF Member

The Dunlop that came on my bike got great mileage (9000 miles), but I didn't like the handling. Especially on tar snakes, cracks, steel bridges, rain grooves.I just never felt safe in the rain on them. I switched to the Metz 880 and it was like a different bike. I've stayed with them since. I'm on my third set of Metz and each one is getting 6000-7000 miles (rear tire).

So, yes it's a trade off. Mileage vs. handling.

I was recently told that Avon has better handling tire that's a bit wider than the Metz and will fit my bike. I almost went with it until he told me that I'd probably only get about 5000 out of, but I could drag my grips in the corners.

I think I'll stay with the Metzlers. I'll leave that kind of riding to the rockets.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:06 AM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Metzelers are the main tire I sell and I am yet to have an issue. If I had issues I would refuse to sell them. I stock them and send out many sets a day. It sounds like he was trying to sell what he had on hand. If you want to try something else check out the Michelin Commander II's. They are a nice tire too and good for high mileage.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:15 AM
Deucedog
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by f4dennis
What does the tire being out of round do to the ride?
Same things as an unbalanced tire. Vibration and shortened tire life. Not to mention that it could be unsafe, depending on the amount of deviation from round.

Quick Reply: Metzler issues?