Wheels/Tires Questions and discussion about wheels and tires should be posted here.

Any thoughts on Michelin Commander II

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 09:45 PM
Stopit
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,044 Likes on 551 Posts

Originally Posted by flibuoy
I don't ride a "bad ***" Night Train, but my guess is that they perform similar on a Night Train as they do on most all motorcycles. Maybe that is why nobody jumped to answer your question that you posted 3 times.
Copy that , work great on my FXSTDI .

Old 02-23-2014, 12:03 AM
Wakko47
Road Warrior
Received 72 Likes on 58 Posts

I think Michelin recommends that you do not use them on a Night Train. Whitewalls only.

Old 02-25-2014, 04:43 AM
08 Night Train
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

from what I here they should work great no a Night Train. any Harley is ( Bad *** ) in my book ,I didn't mean to post it 3 times was just looking for some info,THANKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-02-2014, 10:03 AM
joenelis
Stage IV
Default Not Thrilled With Commander II on Front of an FXD

I'm about to replace the Commander II that I put on the front of my 2008 Superglide FXD last March. I only got 9400 miles out of it. I got an average of 11k from the three Dunlop OEM front tires that I ran previously. So, unlike the Commander II tires that I have been running on the rear that have been giving me better mileage (8.5K versus 6k from the Dunlop OEM rears), the Commander II on the front was disappointment. Going to try a Dunlop Elite 3 on the front this time. If that is not an improvement, I will probably go back to using the Dunlop OEM front tires. (As stated before: your mileage will vary - different bikes and different riding styles will result in different results).

Old 03-21-2014, 08:55 PM
wookie214
Tourer

More positive than negative replies for the MC II's. I was needing to replace my rear
tire. Info here helped with my decision. I ordered a set from Motoxoutlet.com on
3-19-14. They arrived at my door today (3-21-14). Fair priced and speedy shipping. So far, so good. I'll keep this thread going after I get them installed. Thread may be old but it may help someone else. Ride safe.

Old 03-22-2014, 11:34 AM
flibuoy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I had the Michelins put on a couple weeks ago. I had trouble deciding between the Metzler 888 and the Commander IIs. I was replacing 880s which I felt rode/handled way way better than Dunlops. The 888 were a long wait for Indy who uses them on his ride. So Michelin won.

For those who went from a Dunlop to the Metzler you will understand easily when I say the difference was similar. Did not expect them to be upset by grooving and tar strips because of positive reviews....they were right...no biggy. Some had mentioned they rolled into and out of a lean very smoothly...that is an understatement...

Hard to explain ride difference. Indy put in 40/40 and said to keep them up so after 32/36 on the Deuce I was expecting a cast iron feel. Nope, in fact although the surface texture transmits clearly, the bumps seem to soak up easily and progressively

Are they quieter? I did not hear them over pipes...of course I never heard any tire over the pipes.

Odd that front thread looks "backward" but unless arrow is backwards they are mounted right and certainly would ride goofy if not.

Since I have less than 500 miles on them I won't mention wear (some nubs still on) but the ride/handling jump makes it a non-issue for me ... Very happy if they even get close to what the 880s went and they should.

I know it sounds like I am in Michelins sales....not true...but I am glad I don't sell Dunlops

Old 03-24-2014, 11:52 AM
hogcowboy
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Is anybody else noticing their Commanders don't seem to need air as often as the stock Dunlops did? Maybe it's just the colder weather but it sure seems like I'm only putting air in because I've checked them enough to let air out. Running 44 rear and 42 front and they seem like they are always there until maybe the 8th time I check. The Dunlops I put air in every other time I checked. I'm not doing anything different, just riding. Strange but I like it.

Old 03-24-2014, 05:20 PM
Stopit
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,044 Likes on 551 Posts

Originally Posted by hogcowboy
Is anybody else noticing their Commanders don't seem to need air as often as the stock Dunlops did? Maybe it's just the colder weather but it sure seems like I'm only putting air in because I've checked them enough to let air out. Running 44 rear and 42 front and they seem like they are always there until maybe the 8th time I check. The Dunlops I put air in every other time I checked. I'm not doing anything different, just riding. Strange but I like it.
Mines been sitting since Nov , checked them Fri to take a ride, still 40 /40 just where I run them.

Old 04-07-2014, 09:49 PM
wookie214
Tourer

Finally have a few miles on the new set of Commander II's. Previously had the Dunlop
WWW on my RKC. I'm liking the BW look. There really is a big difference in the handling and ride. Road grooves, don't even feel them, just smooth. Tires run quiet. I have not had time to run a sweeping highway curve at 70-75+. I have done a series of local twisties (20mph limit) at 30mph and these tires rolled in and out fine and stuck really well. So far, so good. I'm liking the change. If it starts going downhill, I'll post that too. But, right now, I'm really pleased.

Old 06-04-2014, 05:02 PM
dirt_dobber
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh.My.Gosh!! i just had these put on my Street Bob to replace stock Dunlops and - wow what a difference. I went with these based on what I read in this thread and Thanks to all who have posted. I am very impressed by how much better the bike "feels" while riding. Much more response in the turns and a feels like it rides smoother as well.

Quick Reply: Any thoughts on Michelin Commander II