Wheels/Tires Questions and discussion about wheels and tires should be posted here.

Harley wheel chrome quality

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 02:14 PM
jl207299
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Harley wheel chrome quality

Looking to put a set of agitator wheels on a 2012 SG. While not an original idea, I think they look good...however, I've experienced and read discussions confiming questionable quality on Harley chrome and its durability. I'd like to do a 19" up front and 18" rear, but that's besides the point.
Anyone seen serious durability issues? I've read of at least one account on this forum that addressed peeling within the first month and the MoCo wouldn't stand behind their product.
Thanks in advance and ride safe my friends.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:38 PM
Harlie Rider
Road Master
Received 93 Likes on 54 Posts
Smile

I have used Harley Chrome wheels since '02. At first they were only Mirror Chrome
ThunderStar wheels on my Heritages. On the '02, I had ridden the Harley
wheels about 40,000 miles with no issues. Each successive Heritage has had
these ThunderStar wheels, an '06, an '08. I never had any trouble on any of
these wheels either.
On my '09 Heritage I put the 9 spoke Mirror Chrome wheels for a change. Now
after 25,000 miles they still look new.
On my '10 FXDWG and my '11 FXDB I have the Mirror Chrome Reaper wheels. I
do expect to have any problems with these wheels either.
I recommend the Harley wheels because of my experience with them. I won't say
that you will not have trouble with them, but I haven't, yet.
sugarbear1

Attached Thumbnails Harley wheel chrome quality-100_1008.jpg   Harley wheel chrome quality-100_0960.jpg   Harley wheel chrome quality-100_0734.jpg  
Old 12-04-2020, 10:12 PM
CagelessRoy
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oxidation

About a month ago getting ready for a ride and noticed my back tire was flat. Pumped it up and did a soap test. Bubbles out all the spokes. Tire was changed a couple of weeks before at the dealership. Only had about 300 miles on it. Trailered it back to dealership. They found and cleaned up “a lot of rust” internally. This is on a 2013 FLSTC with 46K miles. Always garaged when it’s home.
So I’m not real happy with stock wheels. Also the dealership should have caught the corrosion when changing the tire.
While I love the spoke looks, I’m hating the inner tube (I’ve had 2 flats while riding which trashes the tire).
Are there any good quality tubeless spoke wheels?

Old 12-17-2020, 05:27 AM
eighteight
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,941 Likes on 2,845 Posts

Originally Posted by CagelessRoy
Are there any good quality tubeless spoke wheels?
HD previously offered “Profile laced”!tubeless spoke wheels

not sure how well they lasted ?

note that they discontinued this option

Old 12-17-2020, 09:50 PM
tajar66
Tourer
Received 112 Likes on 74 Posts

I was cleaning the stock wheel on my Ultraglide and while they cleaned up nice I can see the chrome cracking and starting to flake in several places

Old 12-17-2020, 10:10 PM
freakfxr
Tourer
Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

The reality of chrome anything is that if you keep it clean it will USUALLY last well. I've many motorcycles, varying parts in chrome on those bikes. I used to work in the after market portion of this business. I have dealt with more chrome issues than most people will ever know have existed. The number one cause of chrome (on wheels) to bubble or peel is wheels never being cleaned and protected. I've never run a Harley branded chrome wheel on my bike that they had plated but I have run many other brand wheels in chrome.

I am a pretty meticulous guy (well I used to be) and still had a few wheels that had chrome issues. No rhyme, no reason, they just starting bubbling and peeling. With a motorcycle that is ridden daily they were cleaned once a week every week as I used to do things when I was young. So, keep your wheels clean (the back one too) and you should be golden. My experience with HD's chrome is that is some of the most durable and long lasting I have used. Most of the after market companies in this business (at least the ones in SoCal) all use the smae places to chrome their parts. And I can tell you my rotor that was chromed by ____ is peeling while my wheel that was chromed by _______ is not peeling.

All I can offer is if you are going to invest in wheels take the time to keep them clean and they will almost always take care of you. I'm the exception to the rule quite often with stuff like this, and that's why I said almost. Typically finding peeling Harley branded chrome means neglect. I don't know about you guys, but I ride my bike and am relentless with it. That's what it is for. Sure I want it to look good so I clean it too. Moral of teh story...keep them clean. Brake dust is corrosive and will stick to your wheels, even with the "dustless" pads. Whatever you decide, enjoy your motorcycle.

Old 03-06-2021, 11:29 PM
whylee
Road Warrior
Received 346 Likes on 246 Posts

I worked in that field for many years. I can say that not cleaning the chrome is not the reason for bubbles, cracking, and flaking. That all stems from bad prep work and or flexing of the material.
Now not cleaning and properly taking care of chrome will cause other issues that could cause problems with the finish. But that comes from long term abuse or very adverse conditions like living close to the beach or areas that use salt on the roads.