Wheels/Tires Questions and discussion about wheels and tires should be posted here.

I think the wife ruined her PM wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 04:34 PM
VooDoo13
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default I think the wife ruined her PM wheels?

Well the wife was cleaning her wheels and she asked me why they wouldn't shine. She used a chrome spray on her wheels. She has a contrast platinum cut PM wheels on her XXX. What can I do to get them back to shine? The milled part is fine but the anno part is dull and has discoloration all over it. God I hope this isn't ruined. She has only had them since 6 weeks after Bike Week.

Its not looking good.

Old 08-10-2011, 06:38 PM
woodsytattooman
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use this at work and it does and awesome job on paint marks,swirls etc.Any good hand glaze might work then a good coat of wax.I like this stuff because it don't leave alot of wax dust and turn white like others.I would never use anything but mild soap and wax or a good polish on those bad looking wheels!Chrome cleaner has acid in it.Good for cool chrome only..Not hot or in the sun.
http://www.tcpglobal.com/detailsuppl...mno=MAL+114732

Last edited by woodsytattooman; 08-10-2011 at 06:41 PM.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:45 PM
Willy723
Tourer

If they are annodized and not cleared it may be trouble, if it has clear over the annodized, they may need wet sanding and recleared...might want to contact PM directly and find out what treatment is on the wheel and if they can recommend anything before you touch them again.

Old 08-10-2011, 10:24 PM
woodsytattooman
Cruiser

Just found this so be careful on the black..
To maintain black anodized trim, use a non-cleaning wax or sealant. Anodized aluminum must be treated with great care. The coating is very thin. Even the mildest abrasives (polish and cleaners) will quickly scuff or remove the coating. The sun is a problem, too, as exposure to UV rays will fade black anodized trim.

Last edited by woodsytattooman; 08-10-2011 at 10:42 PM.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:23 AM
drharley
Cruiser
Wink Ride at Night

Originally Posted by woodsytattooman
Just found this so be careful on the black..
To maintain black anodized trim, use a non-cleaning wax or sealant. Anodized aluminum must be treated with great care. The coating is very thin. Even the mildest abrasives (polish and cleaners) will quickly scuff or remove the coating. The sun is a problem, too, as exposure to UV rays will fade black anodized trim.
If UV is a problem, I guess you buy the wheels and only ride at night??? Sorry, couldn't resist being a smarta$$

Old 08-11-2011, 11:32 AM
BiggDogg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well i just took PM off my list of wheels to buy

hopefully you can get it out and reclearcoat without any real problems

Old 08-11-2011, 11:35 AM
woodsytattooman
Cruiser

Originally Posted by drharley
If UV is a problem, I guess you buy the wheels and only ride at night??? Sorry, couldn't resist being a smarta$$
I guess lol!
The only time the sun would fade it is if it sits in the hot sun for long peroids prob years.I've seen sun damage on anodized car trim and I use the above product I listed with great results.

Old 08-12-2011, 12:25 AM
jp28
Road Captain
Default rut row

As others have stated, and per the PM website, you should only use mild soap and water. I believe these may be in trouble. If you do find a solution, please post it.

Also, I've had black anodize fade to a dull gray after 2 years in moderate sunlight. I know not all anodizing is created equal, but it's relatively delicate.

You could always mask the polished aluminum and paint the anodized areas with black paint, then touch up any polished areas that experience paint bleed.

I was considering PM wheels, but this makes me think twice.
Good luck!

Old 08-12-2011, 02:12 PM
Willy723
Tourer

Most of the 2-tone wheels used Annodized finish to acheive the look, there are ways to have it cleared and protected to ease cleaning and prevent fading

Old 08-12-2011, 02:45 PM
VooDoo13
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I emailed PM. I am considering if they say it cant be repaired without re-anno to just remove the anno and polish them. Or spraying all the anno and see if i cant get it an even matt finish??? I dont know. Wife is just sick.

Quick Reply: I think the wife ruined her PM wheels?