Wheels/Tires Questions and discussion about wheels and tires should be posted here.

Off Brand Tires

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 08:02 PM
RodeoHard
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Off Brand Tires

Hello All,

Does anyone have any experience with off brand tires for their Harley?

Shinko
Duro
IRC

Just curious about milage and traction.

Old 04-18-2011, 08:15 PM
oneloudz71
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have never understood how people could spend SO MUCH on other areas of a vehicle and then decide that the tires are the area that they want to save a few bucks. Measure the contact patch of the tires on your bike, do you want to trust that few inch area that makes up the only part of your bike that actually makes contact with the earth to an off brand? Sorry for the soapbox, this is just an opinion I feel strongly about.

Old 04-18-2011, 10:45 PM
dan conner
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

with so many good deals on the internet, why take a chance on off brand tires? i just bought tires from jake wilson...free, quick delivery and no sales tax on top of a great price.

Old 04-18-2011, 10:53 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,005 Likes on 4,196 Posts

Got a Shinko on my 10 speed. Been on there a long time.

Old 04-19-2011, 03:53 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

As a general rule other brand tyres tend not to give such good ride quality, grip or tyre mileage. I don't use them, as those are qualities that are important to me! I use Avon Venoms on my Glide.

Old 04-19-2011, 04:55 AM
MADDOG187
Road Master

I didnt think the HD tyres were to badly priced really , why change something if it works .

Old 04-19-2011, 05:11 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Wink

Originally Posted by MADDOG187
I didnt think the HD tyres were to badly priced really , why change something if it works .
That's a different matter! There are better tyres out there than factory Dunlops, depending on what one wants of tyres. The factory has never fitted truly great tyres, only ordinary ones.

Old 04-19-2011, 10:35 AM
RodeoHard
Intermediate

Thank you all for your replies, I am looking for some research information, there appears to be a lack of information on all tire brands. I guess the question I should have asked is: does anyone know of a website with manufacture statistics for all tires. i.e. Consumer Reports

I am new to this, the last time I had to worry about this was in 1990 when I owned a Kawasaki ZX7. Metzler was top because someone told me that, not because of my own personal knowledge, I am trying to hone that knowledge.

Last edited by RodeoHard; 04-19-2011 at 10:39 AM.
Old 04-19-2011, 03:09 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Red face

Originally Posted by RodeoHard
Thank you all for your replies, I am looking for some research information, there appears to be a lack of information on all tire brands. I guess the question I should have asked is: does anyone know of a website with manufacture statistics for all tires. i.e. Consumer Reports

I am new to this, the last time I had to worry about this was in 1990 when I owned a Kawasaki ZX7. Metzler was top because someone told me that, not because of my own personal knowledge, I am trying to hone that knowledge.
You may find occasional reports in bike magazines, but I have never seen a definitive report on a wide range of tyres. Consider what you are asking! Pretty well every tyre brand offers a variety of tyres to fit Harleys and there are a lot of different tyre sizes in Harley's range of bikes.

As for Metzeler, not much has changed since you had your ZX7! They are currently one of the most popular tyres for Harleys, along with Avon and Dunlop. I suggest you save yourself a lot of effort and choose from those three! Search on any of those brands and browse recent threads to get happy owners' impressions.

Old 04-22-2011, 10:05 AM
TooEasy
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RodeoHard
Hello All,

Does anyone have any experience with off brand tires for their Harley?

Shinko
Duro
IRC

Just curious about milage and traction.

I had Duro's back when I used to ride Metric bikes and they were a good bang for the buck, never heard of a tire failure with them. The Shinko's are Yokohamas. I have friends that have them and are really happy with them, you will probably hear bad things about them from people that have never used them and don't have any facts about failures or personal experience with them either.
From the Shinko website:

"Established in 1946, the Shinko Group began as a manufacturer of bicycle tires and tubes in Osaka, Japan that today has become a burgeoning manufacture of rubber products.
In 1998 the Shinko Group purchased the motorcycle tire technology and molds from Yokohama Rubber Co., and began production of these products under the Shinko Tire brand. With manufacturing based in South Korea and design based in Japan, the company has seamlessly combined Japanese engineering and design principles with South Korean production and quality control standards. Today Shinko Tires produces approximately 200,000 motorcycle tires per month."

Regards,

Last edited by TooEasy; 04-22-2011 at 03:39 PM.

Quick Reply: Off Brand Tires