Wheels/Tires Questions and discussion about wheels and tires should be posted here.

ABS Issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 05:07 AM
Ben A
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default ABS Issues

My 2008 CUSE3 has just over 70k miles on it and the rear brake has become extremly hard to apply. When you start the bike you can apply the rear brake as hard as you can and it seems to work normal until you switch the bike off. when you start it again it will be real hard until you set it by applying it as hard as you can again. The dealer said it was a comon problem with ABS brakes with high miles and there was not much you could do about it. Anyone having this problem? Any idea's?

Old 03-19-2011, 06:31 AM
Ben A
Cruiser

What? Nobody knows anything about abs brakes? Where are all the experts?

Old 03-23-2011, 05:14 AM
Ben A
Cruiser

Tell me it ain't so. not one reply

Old 03-23-2011, 10:08 AM
Morris9982
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been thinking about this and have some questions for you.

Have you ever flushed the brake fluid? If so, how long has it been since it was last done?

If this was my bike I think I'd try to bleed the rear brake (probably better to do this at home) the next time the condition occurred. If the peddle moves easily when the bleeder is open that tells me that the issue may be with the caliper. If not then I'd look elsewhere for a problem.

If the peddle moves easily when bleeding, I was thinking that the pistons in the rear caliper may not be moving freely especially when they are warm from riding. Perhaps it's time to disassemble them and clean the pistons and caliper bores and replace the seals.

If the peddle does not move easily when the bleeder is open, obviously that means the issue is somewhere else in the system. I do not believe that hard application of the brake should be considered normal and not investigated. It could be as simple as the brake pedal hanging up on the pedal mount. Just guessing here...

Hope this gives you some ideas.

Old 03-24-2011, 06:12 AM
Ben A
Cruiser

The rear brake light switch was changed by the dealer about 2 months ago and he stated that he bled the brakes then. This problem started about 2 weeks later. I think the problem is in the computer because you can apply the pedal real hard after starting the bike and it works fine until you switch it off. Even if you set it and switch it off right away, then you must reset it again or it will be real hard to press again. I am at a loss. The dealer tried to tell me that every time you change brake pads the ABS system has to be reset. I find that unbeleveable but I guess I am going to have to take it in and let a dealer figure it out. God help me!!! I hate letting #@!^^& work on my bike if you know what I mean. Any way your coments are appreciated. THANKS.

Old 03-24-2011, 11:22 AM
Morris9982
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am not sure what "reset" the dealer is referencing. I know the system needs to read the sensors in the wheels every time you turn the bike on which is shown by the indicator light in the dash that goes off after you ride a few feet.

I just checked the factory service manual for my 2009 and it says nothing about resetting the brakes when replacing the pads. I do not know if your 2008 would be the same or not. It does mention removing the fluid reservoir cover before pushing the caliper pistons back in for clearance for the new pads, but that should not introduce air into the system requiring any type of reset as far as I know.

If you get air into the system such as replacing the brake lines or opening the system such as would be needed to replace the rear brake light switch, the digital technician is required to be connected to ensure the air is completely removed from the ABS system. My service manual does not say what this does, just to connect it.

I have flushed my brakes twice being careful not to introduce any air into the system and they still work fine.

Since all this started with the brake switch installation, that suggests that the issue is related to that work. It may be that the person that serviced your bike did not completely flush the air from the system after replacing the switch. You might want to invest in a can of brake fluid and flush the rear brakes thoroughly to see if you can get any air out and if it makes any difference in how the system works. If that doesn't help, you may need to take it back to a dealer for them to check it out using the digital technician device.

Good luck.

Old 03-24-2011, 11:37 AM
Ben A
Cruiser

I have replaced my pads 3 times and have never had an issue so that is just another reason I don't trust dealers, because they lie in the name of making money. They think we are all stupid or that we can't read. My manual, like yours said nothing about re setting the ABS system for a pad change. I think that a system flush may just be the order of the day. I will try that this weekend and let you know the out come. I will take my bike to a dealer as a last resort because I already know that they will either not fix anything or they will replace things that don't need to be replaced hopeing that works. Thanks again. Ben