Wheels/Tires Questions and discussion about wheels and tires should be posted here.

Car tire on a '07 Ultra

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 12:21 AM
TooEasy
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Talking Car tire on a '07 Ultra

Folks,

This post is intended for all those people that have emailed me and PM'd me about a car tire for baggers '08 and below. If you don't like the idea of a car tire on your bike, no need to read this post, no need to get all worked up over it. Nothing wrong with bike tires.

My riding buddy has been riding his '07 Ultra with a Vredestein Comtrac 175/75-16 car tire on his Ultra, with an OEM 16X3 rear wheel, no physical changes or adjustments were neccessary, and he is very happy with it.

He doesn't own a car (by choice) so he puts a lot of miles on his bikes and his tires, and rides in all kinds of weather.
The Vredestein is a close fit, little clearance on both sides of the fender but nothing rubs. He decided to go ahead and do it for the same reason I did: insane traction, wet or dry. Handles a load or overload like it wasn't even there. We know its loaded because the engine feels it, but the bike gets even more stable with more load. Did I mention a huge contact patch....???
He is running 36 PSI on the Vredestein and 40 PSI on the front D402.
The car tire is very forgiving when it comes to air pressure, but the front is still A MC tire, and the pressure has to be kept up there.
Couple of pics:

Regards,

Old 02-27-2011, 06:27 AM
09StreetGlider
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for this post! I have some friends that will be happy to hear there IS a Darkside option for them...

Old 02-27-2011, 06:38 AM
moondog99
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So no rubbing running two up? Looks really close to the fender. Cool concept.

Old 02-27-2011, 07:23 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,144 Likes on 3,668 Posts

Damn that looks close....I might have to break bad and try it....My fender is a bit offset so i might have to tweak but damn....I will have to wait until i go through 4 tires i got deals on before i pull the trigger...I might find me a spare wheel and have 1 mounted....
Thanks for posting this.

Old 02-27-2011, 08:59 AM
latnyte
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

damn and just when i was sure i was out of luck for my 05 rk custom , time to really measure

Old 02-27-2011, 09:08 AM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

Roberto, thanks for the info. I googled the tire to try and find out rim width information on it, and came up with this site and chart. No rim width is mentioned, but I think it is noteworthy that the speed rating of the "R" series is 106 mph. The Dunlop motorcycle E3's, in comparison, have an "H", rating, which is 130 mph.

http://www.tirefactory.net/comtrac.htm

Last edited by MNPGRider; 02-27-2011 at 09:59 AM. Reason: added speed rating R vs H
Old 02-27-2011, 09:07 PM
heavyhitter01
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where did you get the tire from? I can't find that size anywhere.

Old 02-27-2011, 10:12 PM
Mr Cujo
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Roberto,

I see that you mention you are running a 195/60-16 and your pal is running a 175/75-16

Are both speedos correct at this ? There is roughly a 4.25" difference in circumference -

Are you getting good clearance with the wider tire -- especially 2-up?
And how well does the different sidewall heights work out ?

If I'm doing this right, the 175 has a much taller sidewall and has a larger circumference, but with a narrower tread -- the 195 is wider, but shorter sidewalls and smaller circumference.

I wonder what handling characteristics will be different between the two ? or if it'll even be felt..

BTW, I found a Bridgestone Turanza in 195-60 that hits the H speed rating and 50k warranty.
HERE

Thanks for the hard work, and looking forward to more info-

Last edited by Mr Cujo; 02-27-2011 at 10:22 PM.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:10 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,144 Likes on 3,668 Posts

Originally Posted by heavyhitter01
Where did you get the tire from? I can't find that size anywhere.
try www.tiresweb.com

Old 02-28-2011, 09:51 AM
TooEasy
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Cujo
Roberto,

I see that you mention you are running a 195/60-16 and your pal is running a 175/75-16

My rear wheel is 16X5, his is 16X3

Are both speedos correct at this ? There is roughly a 4.25" difference in circumference -

His is correct now, with the bigger tire. Mine is a little off, my tire is the same diameter as OEM. Checked speed with the GPS.

Are you getting good clearance with the wider tire -- especially 2-up?
And how well does the different sidewall heights work out ?

No clearance problems two up and overloaded. Look for my initial post "Car tire on my Road King"

If I'm doing this right, the 175 has a much taller sidewall and has a larger circumference, but with a narrower tread -- the 195 is wider, but shorter sidewalls and smaller circumference.

Which tire depends on what year bike you have. The 195 for 2009 and above and the 175 for 2008 and below, because of the rim sizes and the swingarm.

I wonder what handling characteristics will be different between the two ? or if it'll even be felt..

It has a very short learning curve.

BTW, I found a Bridgestone Turanza in 195-60 that hits the H speed rating and 50k warranty.
HERE

I looked at that tire too, but the Dunlop SP 5000 is a sports car tire, TireRack.com classifies it as "Ultra high performance" so I went with it.
But there are people with Harley touring bikes running that Bridgestone tire, and they are very happy with it. They just don't come and post here because of all the negative posts.

Thanks for the hard work, and looking forward to more info-

Roger, thanks.

Regards,

Quick Reply: Car tire on a '07 Ultra