Wheels/Tires Questions and discussion about wheels and tires should be posted here.

Swapping brake master cylinders... need help please

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2011 | 12:53 PM
itimmers
|
Road Captain
Talking Swapping brake master cylinders... need help please

Hello everyone! I posted this to the touring crowd as well as here...

I have a 2008 FLHX with ABS and a 2008 Ultra with ABS. What I would like to do is switch my chrome brake master cylinder on my Ultra with the stock black brake master cylinder on my FLHX. Like I mentioned in my first sentence, both bikes are ABS and I don't want to bring it to the dealership to have the systems on both bikes bled. Any advice or suggestions? I have researched this and read that it is possible by 1) replacing the copper washers on the brake lines and tighten to spec. 2) adding DOT4 brake fluid in the reservoir and not let it go dry 3)"flicking" the brake lever to bleed the air out of it(slowly pulling the lever in and quickly releasing it, which will purge the air out of the system). Has anyone done this and can speak from experience? Reason I'm doing this is because the Ultra is for sale and am planning on keeping my FLHX. It won't change selling the Ultra any harder, just hate to see the $ on the upgrade go to waste on a bike thats going away. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks in advance...