Wheels/Tires Questions and discussion about wheels and tires should be posted here.

Fix-a-flat ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 08:08 PM
brianseay
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fix-a-flat ?

Just put on new tires and have already picked up a nail. I plugged the tire, rode a 1900 mile trip with no problems. Got home, the bike set for a few days, and guess what? a flat rear tire. I aired the tire up, and it was leaking slowly at the place of the plug. I am wondering, has anyone used Fix-a-flat on a motorcycle tire? I have used it in car tires with no problem, but just want to know if it is recommended for motorcycles? Thanks for any info.

Old 10-02-2010, 10:59 PM
stevelonewolf
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I get customers with your situation frequently and I take off the new tire and cut back the plug on the inside with a razor blade and hot patch it(unless it's close to or on the sidewall). You may be able to take the tire to your local indy tire shop that'll do it for you for $10-$20

Old 10-03-2010, 01:20 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

Fix- a flat can be a problem for the repair tech- (If you have used it, always tell them, it can be a fire hazard.)
I'd only use it to rescue me from a spot with no cell ( unlimited road service with the HOG $20 Deluxe package).

Having a had TWO blow outs in 4 days at 80MPH returning from Sturgis, I'd not take a chance with a repair on 50% of your tires...25% is a different matter.

Mike

Old 10-04-2010, 12:13 AM
TFTCAR
Road Captain
Smile

The only real safe way to repair the tire is to use what is called a Plug Patch, the plug and patch are Incorporated. It is a permanent non leak repair.

Old 10-12-2010, 08:54 PM
TooEasy
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Stories like these are what makes me so happy I went to a car tire. Peace of mind, yeahhh...!!!

OTOH, your tire already has a plug, but the plug is leaking, it does you no good, so pull it out and either put another one on, cut it flush inside and put a patch on top, or pull it out and put a plug patch.

Regards,

Old 10-22-2010, 07:25 PM
Chaz in TN
Road Captain

I agree with MKguitar.....FAF is a great "get me to a gas station" solution but not much more.

Old 10-23-2010, 07:29 AM
peppi
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

If you use anything like this or SLIME, many repair facilities will decline replacing or working on a tire because of the mess it makes on their machines not to mention the hazard too.

Old 10-23-2010, 07:36 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

my .02 worth.

I would never put FAF in any tire I own. Not only is it a fire hazard but it also has a tendency (in certain climates) to gum up in clumps causing a balance issue which is not such an issue in a cage but on two wheels could certainly pose a "health-risk". Go to your local auto parts store, get a plug kit and keep it on the bike. This will get you to a gas station if not a motorcycle repair shop and get the tire fixed the right way. A plug only will eventually leak so the PNP method is the only correct way to fix a tire that doesn't have a tube

Old 11-21-2010, 12:12 AM
lallsdd966
Advanced

I'd get a new tire.

Old 11-21-2010, 11:04 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by TooEasy
Stories like these are what makes me so happy I went to a car tire. Peace of mind, yeahhh...!!!
With a larger tyre contact patch you have an increased risk of getting a nail!

Quick Reply: Fix-a-flat ?