Wheels/Tires Questions and discussion about wheels and tires should be posted here.

Making ABS wheels fit a Non ABS bike

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 11:10 AM
UPSGUY
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Making ABS wheels fit a Non ABS bike

I have an 09 Road Glide that has ABS and I have a set of Renegade wheels on it and I just picked up an 09 Road King that isnt ABS and I want to put the Renegade wheels on the non ABS bike, I have the stock RG wheels to go back on it and I was wondering if I just bought a new set of wheel bearings for a non ABS bike and swapped them out with the ABS ones on the Renegade wheels? I called Renegade and they were not much help they just wanted me to buy another set of wheels!!

Old 09-03-2010, 08:29 AM
TooEasy
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

If I understand this correctly, you intend to reuse some bearings, not a good idea.

Why don't you just use the ABS wheel with ABS bearings on the Non-ABS bike without pulling them out, and buy a fresh set of ABS for the other bike? you could even swap wheels back and forth if you wanted, lol.

The ABS bearings and the Non-ABS are the same size. There is nothing to say that you can't use ABS bearings in a Non-ABS, it would just have a non-functional encoder in it. You would have a problem if you tried to use Non-ABS in an ABS bike.

About the problem with reusing bearings. The bearings have an inside bearing race and an outside bearing race. The collet that grabs on the bearing to pull it out (in the pic) applies all its pressure on the inside race, while the hub is holding the outer race in place. These forces being applied in opposite directions can damage the bearing, it can end up having too much end play, and cause premature or catastrophic failure.

Recommendation: Install the Renegade wheels WITH the ABS bearings on the non-ABS bike, buy new ABS bearings for the SG wheels.

Regards,

Last edited by TooEasy; 09-08-2010 at 11:38 AM.
Old 09-12-2010, 08:38 PM
Renegade chuck
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A correction to the above...
ABS bearings are a little wider than stock 25mm bearings.
So you really need to buy some new bearings and you can y
Use the wheels on the bikes you wish.
Questions? Call me. Chuck 714-998-7241

Old 09-14-2010, 09:50 AM
WILLYSHINY
Banned
Default ABS wheel on non abs bike

There is one more option if you would like to swap the wheels back and forth between bikes . You can leave in the abs bearings and cut .120 of an inch off off your stock left front and right rear spacers on the non abs bike to make up for the extra thickness of the abs bearing. I make cool wheel spacers that hides the rotor bolts and do this on special applictions for guys that want to swap wheels but do not want to change out bearings for reasons such as yours to swap one set of wheels between 2 bikes.
Check out the spacers that I make ;http://www.willyshiny.com

Feel free to call for more info , 1 877 662 9940

Joe Cutshall
***** SHINY

Old 10-19-2010, 03:06 PM
UPSGUY
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by WILLYSHINY
There is one more option if you would like to swap the wheels back and forth between bikes . You can leave in the abs bearings and cut .120 of an inch off off your stock left front and right rear spacers on the non abs bike to make up for the extra thickness of the abs bearing. I make cool wheel spacers that hides the rotor bolts and do this on special applictions for guys that want to swap wheels but do not want to change out bearings for reasons such as yours to swap one set of wheels between 2 bikes.
Check out the spacers that I make ;http://www.willyshiny.com

Feel free to call for more info , 1 877 662 9940

Joe Cutshall
***** SHINY
So If I just buy a set of spacers for an ABS bike I can use them and the wheels on my non ABS bike?

Old 10-20-2010, 09:16 AM
WILLYSHINY
Banned
Default ***** shiny abs wheel spacers

Hi UPS GUY , Your abs sensors are your spacers on the abs epuipped bike and need to stay with the bike. My spacers for abs bikes are a spacer on the right side and a matching cover for the sensor on the left side.
To run these on both bikes you will need cut down left (-.120) for the non abs bike and a set of abs spacers for the abs equipped bike. The right side will work on both bikes.

These spacers look great on custom wheels like Renegades . Here are some cell phone photos from a happy customer in Reno .

Joe Cutshall
***** SHINY http://www.willyshiny.com

Attached Thumbnails Making ABS wheels fit a Non ABS bike-abs-spacers-chrome-and-black.jpg   Making ABS wheels fit a Non ABS bike-spacers-on-renegade-wheels-rods-bike.jpg   Making ABS wheels fit a Non ABS bike-spacers-on-renegade-rotors-rods-bike.jpg  
Old 10-24-2010, 12:21 PM
DPete
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 1,735 Likes on 1,302 Posts

Correct me if wrong, there is only one abs bearing per wheel so if the other bearings are good one non abs bearing will cure the spacing prob. I bought a spare set of abs wheels and tires to go on my non abs 09' and intend change the abs bearing to non and go.

Old 10-25-2010, 09:29 AM
WILLYSHINY
Banned

Sure ,you can change the bearings and everthing will be fine . But here's the deal on bearing instalation. The wheels are designed to install the left front and the right rear bearings first, pressing them in until they bottom out.Then install the center spacer (crush tube )into the wheel and you will see that it extends a little further than the bearing journal bottom on the oppisite side (this is normal ), then the other bearing is installed pressing it in until it bottoms out against the crush tube - not the wheel. There is a gap between the bearing race and the machined bottom of the bearing journal because the center spacer (crush tube ) is stopping it from being seated all of the way to the bottom.This is the alignment established at the factory
So why is this important ? If you remove the abs bearings only and replace with non abs bearings there will a good chance that you will cause the bearing in the right (front) to move all the way to the bottom and the newly installed non abs will not be seated all the way in to the bottom on the left.
For proper alignment - start from the beginig- remove both bearings and install left front and right rear bearings first , the bearing journals are machined at a lesser depth than they are on the right front and left rear.If you install the wrong side first you'll have everthing out of whack. If you try and short cut and only pull one bearing you will take the chance of moving the existing bearings out of alignment.
I get calls all the time from dealers telling me that my ***** SHINY wheel spacers do not fit right - and guess what ? They did the bearing instalation wrong .

Hope this helps you do it the correct way .

Joe Cutshall
***** SHINY

Last edited by WILLYSHINY; 10-25-2010 at 09:37 AM. Reason: SPELLIG ERROR
Old 10-25-2010, 07:58 PM
DPete
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 1,735 Likes on 1,302 Posts

Good info, I would have never known. Thanks