Wheels/Tires Questions and discussion about wheels and tires should be posted here.

Help with brakes!

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 05:06 AM
j_mcgee39
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with brakes!

2001 road king classic.

I put on new pads over the weekend, and went out this evening to also break in new rear tire, and make sure I could stop. Well, the brakes seemed to work fine. Not too much drag but a little. I attributed this to "new" pads. After I got home I left the bike in the drive to cool off. A few hours later I brought it in the garage and noticed that the right front rotor had been overheated. I know it isn't dust. It got hot enough to bubble the plating on the rotor. They are only 6mo. old RC Component Outlaw rotors. After taking the calipers off, it seemed as if the right one isn't functioning properly and putting a large amount of pressure to the outside of the caliper, not allowing the pistons to extend. Now they are stuck!

I also measured the front wheel space from lower to rotor on both sides and found a 1/8 difference between the two sides. Could that much space difference cause the rotors and calipers to put more stress on one than the other, thus causing the problem? I know that I need to rebuild the calipers or just get a new set. I guess I am concerned that if I do, will the 1/8 difference continue to cause a problem, should I adjust the spacing?

Lastly the overheated rotor, should it be replaced if it's not warped? I am concerned that the over heating may have caused it to become brittle and it would really suck if it came apart going down the road. It never smoked, and I couldn't smell anything either. I know it was hot though, turned darker, yellowed near the edge, and slightly bubbled the plating in a few spots.

OK, I hope that made sense. I could really use some help with this one. Not sure where to start, and would really like some input.
Thanks...

Old 08-18-2010, 06:10 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,144 Likes on 3,668 Posts

Could it be that the spacers on the axles may have been put on wrong? Are they both the same thickness...Sounds like something isn't mounted right to put more squeezing power on 1 side...As for the Rotor i am not sure...This was more of a Bump so somebody else can see it. Quite baffling...

Old 08-18-2010, 04:31 PM
j_mcgee39
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake rotor

Hey, thanks for the bump. I did some looking and found that when the last shop I went to for a front tire put the wheel back they didn't line up the axle properly, and it was off exactly 1/8 in. As soon as I loosened things up everything fit perfectly. Now I know what caused it, still need to rebuild or replace the calipers though. The rotor is still a concern however.

Old 08-18-2010, 06:14 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,144 Likes on 3,668 Posts

I just bought a caliper seal kit at the HD dealer, it was like $13. I would replace the rotor.

Old 08-19-2010, 06:17 PM
tj316
Stellar HDF Member
Received 480 Likes on 126 Posts

the 2 axle spacers are different lengths if they are reversed it will cause it