Wheels/Tires Questions and discussion about wheels and tires should be posted here.

Tire Balance?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 09:28 AM
sm0kediver
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Tire Balance?

I had my rear tire replaced a few weeks ago, and in the last few days I started to notice a lot of vibration on the road. The bike does have vibrations (it's a Dyna) but before this I enjoyed it. Now I don't. I have been trying to figure out if it's a tire issue or if it's an engine problem. I have decided it must be the tire. When I pull in the clutch on the highway, there's still some rough ride. It's worse when accelerating (40 - 50 is rough, 50 - 60 is worse), but I am guessing that's a combination of the normal vibes not getting along with the tire issue. There are 6 weights on the back wheel since the tire change. Is that a lot of weights for a motorcycle tire? Any advice on isolating the problem, or does it just sound like a tire issue?

Last edited by sm0kediver; 06-13-2010 at 09:49 AM. Reason: added photo
Old 06-13-2010, 11:01 AM
Kaycee
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd take it back to tire installer and tell them to rotate tire on rim,seems like six weights is alot to me.Is the tire lined up according to valve stem and mark on tire?

Old 06-13-2010, 04:31 PM
sm0kediver
Road Warrior

Yep the stem is in line with the dot

Old 06-13-2010, 05:29 PM
NickD
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

The valve stem lined up with the dot isn't always the best way to do it. The red dot put on by the tire manufacturer and the valve stem on the rim being lined up is supposed to get you into the ballpark, but there are so many vagaries involved (brake disc, hardware, axel, bearings, etc.) you sometimes wind up with more weights attached than necessary.

The best way is to ignore the valve stem and red dot and rotate the tire around the rim until you find a spot where it balances the best without weights. Then finish it off with whatever bit of weight is needed.

Of course this almost always means doing it yourself (not hard to do with a couple of jack stands and a couple of skateboard bearings) but everywhere you go all the "experts" will give you crap about your dot not lining up with your valve stem. But a black magic marker fixes that . . .

Old 06-13-2010, 06:21 PM
sm0kediver
Road Warrior

Probably good advice you're giving, but it sounds like the kind of job where I would get really pissed off and throw things. Working on plumbing under the sink gets the same results.

I like the black magic marker trick though. I used electrical tape to hide a 'check engine' light on a toyota 4x4 once (I got tired of looking at it).

Old 06-14-2010, 03:49 PM
NickD
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I know, I've been under the sink too. But the more you work on stuff the less you throw stuff, LOL . . .

Old 06-14-2010, 06:41 PM
sm0kediver
Road Warrior

Problem resolved. I took it to the HD dealer near my work, and they diagnosed the problem as loose front engine mounts, and slack tire pressure. The pressures they quoted me were off less than 5 psi, so I'm pretty sure the fix was when they tightened the mounts. They adjusted the tire pressures, tightened the mounts, gave the bike a good wash, and didn't charge me a red cent. They also gave me a cool HD tire gauge. It's a brand new bike again. Riding it home was a big improvement over the ride to the shop. I'll keep an eye on the tire pressures and the mounts from now on, and I'll keep taking the bike to Earl Small HD Service Dept.

Old 06-14-2010, 10:20 PM
06Fatboy_CT
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got new tires put on, didn't balance them, smooth up to 120. Put the yellow dots where they were on the old tires to the rim.

Old 06-25-2010, 09:34 AM
02heritage
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have recently started using Dyna beads. Just put 1 oz. in the tire and no more ugly weights on my wheels.

Old 06-25-2010, 06:40 PM
Road King Kid
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 02heritage
I have recently started using Dyna beads. Just put 1 oz. in the tire and no more ugly weights on my wheels.
What are Dyna beads? Sounds cool. How much.

Quick Reply: Tire Balance?