Wheels/Tires Questions and discussion about wheels and tires should be posted here.

straight answer on tire pressure

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 06:18 AM
cubbieblu
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default straight answer on tire pressure

07 elc put a set of michelin commanders on this spring indie shop that put them on said 44 psi rear 40 psi front hd dealer said 36 psi front 40 psi rear tires are stamped rear max psi 40 cold front max psi 36 cold who to believe thanks for any input

Old 04-16-2010, 07:04 AM
Uncle Scrooge
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Go with the manual. 36 front. 36 rear w/o passenger, 40 rear with passenger.

Old 04-17-2010, 06:10 AM
cubbieblu
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for your input I will

Old 04-17-2010, 06:19 AM
luc.who
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

I try to find the pressure near the manual that I like. On my front I like to have enough pressure in it that it does not feel heavy for quick turns.. the back I like to find the balance of soft ride and hard ride... so for me I a little about the manual.

Old 04-19-2010, 04:28 PM
harleydavis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Google the tire manufacturer. They will usually give the recommended tire pressure for the specific tire model you are using.

Old 04-19-2010, 04:35 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,865 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by harleydavis
Google the tire manufacturer. They will usually give the recommended tire pressure for the specific tire model you are using.
Quite right! When using non-standard tyres, the recommendations in the owners manual go out the window. You should refer to Michelin and if necessary send them an email to ask for the correct pressures for your bike. I use Avon tyres and their recommended pressures are usually a little higher than the manual.

Old 04-21-2010, 10:16 AM
BlackPearl#1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 113 Posts

Hey guys i just called Michelin and actually got a human being right away. He stuck to his guns that if you put the same size on the bike that it came with and use Michelin or Pirelli or whoever, you stick with the recomended pressure from the bike manufacturer. He also said if you play around with sizes, then they could make a recomendation. I also have the wobble in the front end during deceleration starting, so i will check mine today.

Old 04-21-2010, 11:15 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Angry

Originally Posted by BlackPearl#1
Hey guys i just called Michelin and actually got a human being right away. He stuck to his guns that if you put the same size on the bike that it came with and use Michelin or Pirelli or whoever, you stick with the recomended pressure from the bike manufacturer. He also said if you play around with sizes, then they could make a recomendation. I also have the wobble in the front end during deceleration starting, so i will check mine today.
The Michelin man can only speak for Michelin! As an Avon user for many years I can assure you Avon recommend slightly higher pressures than in the Harley owners handbook. That information is available on their website, by model and year, so is easily checked. ALWAYS refer to the tyre maker if you fit non-stock brand tyres!

Old 04-21-2010, 11:48 AM
BlackPearl#1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
The Michelin man can only speak for Michelin! As an Avon user for many years I can assure you Avon recommend slightly higher pressures than in the Harley owners handbook. That information is available on their website, by model and year, so is easily checked. ALWAYS refer to the tyre maker if you fit non-stock brand tyres!
I guess that the Michelin tires, due to the fact that they are also now in the HD catalog should be right in line with the book too. I will check mine and see if they are below what the recomendation is. Good info from grbrown.

Old 04-21-2010, 02:51 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Cool

Originally Posted by BlackPearl#1
I guess that the Michelin tires, due to the fact that they are also now in the HD catalog should be right in line with the book too. I will check mine and see if they are below what the recomendation is. Good info from grbrown.
Thanks! I bought my first Harley back in the 70s, when they came on Goodyears. Nothing good about them! They were the best reason to try other brands and I have only ever used the original tyres my Harleys/Buells have come on, then changed to Avon mostly, Venoms these days for my Glide. Avon recommend 38F/44R, which I use solo, but I use 42F/48R 2-up and 44F/50R when 2-up and fully loaded for touring.

Quick Reply: straight answer on tire pressure