Wheels/Tires Questions and discussion about wheels and tires should be posted here.

Front brake switch question

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 06:18 PM
creatv1
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dave, sounds like you may have the same crap chrome switches/controls that I got for my 94. I had problems lining that stuff up too. It helped to put a feeler gauge or something in between the switch and the lever that actuates it to depress the switch as you're lining them up. That insures that the switch isn't interfering with alignment. Also, I found that you can bend that little lever in or out as needed. Still doesn't line up perfectly on mine but it's been working for quite a while now. good luck

Old 03-18-2010, 06:27 PM
JustDave71
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

thanks creatv1

Actually, what I did was make the "paddle" bigger. I drilled it and put a small washer that fits inside the recess perfectly. Threadlocked a countersunk screw on there and good to go.

they are CRAP controls, yes. Came with the bike. Some day I'll get some PM controls or some other quality brand, but for now gotta make this work

Old 03-23-2010, 10:28 AM
Scooter68
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ha ha, I had this problem last spring. I took a rubber hose, cut it down to about 1/2 inch and super glued it to the lever inside there. Now it never misses the brake lever.

Old 03-23-2010, 03:20 PM
JustDave71
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Scooter68
Ha ha, I had this problem last spring. I took a rubber hose, cut it down to about 1/2 inch and super glued it to the lever inside there. Now it never misses the brake lever.
I like my washer a little better since it won't ever corrode, but yeah...same result

I have a perfectly working front brake lever for the first time since I bought this beaut in 08!

Old 04-12-2010, 10:00 PM
schwangster
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

did you get this fixed? I got an issue with my switch so I wanna know how things worked out

Old 04-12-2010, 10:38 PM
JustDave71
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by schwangster
did you get this fixed? I got an issue with my switch so I wanna know how things worked out
Yup

but I'm not sure which fix was the one because I did two things

1)I rebuilt my front master cylinder. It didn't have the correct return pressure and was only going back to "partially cocked" ie the lever wasn't returning all the way out. This would of course keep the brake switch tang from engaging the brake switch

2)I pulled everything apart, took the "tang" (I don't know the proper term, sorry), and drilled a small hole in the center. I then got a washer that fit inside the channel where the brake switch actuator ("tang") goes. I countersunk that washer hole and used a small machine screw and thin nut to keep that washer on the actuator. I used a drop of red threadlock to keep it from coming loose.

I also reassembled the controls being very careful to position the actuator over the switch.

It's yet another rather crummy design, but I improved it and I have a front brake that works and triggers my brake lights as it should.

Old 04-12-2010, 10:42 PM
schwangster
Seasoned HDF Member

thanks
I changed out my controls over the winter, and things were working.
Likely one of the following-
-bare wire from internal wiring
-brake switch is gone
-contact with switch problem (like your issue) will look and try your suggestions.

Note, the brake light works with the foot pedal

Old 04-12-2010, 10:51 PM
JustDave71
Outstanding HDF Member

ok, based on your year, we likely have the same or similar setups

That switch isn't exactly sturdy. you need to make sure it doesn't get pinched when putting stuff back together.

Dan at badlands thought I might have a pinched wire, too, but I carefully inspected and nope.

Assembling the controls correctly is crucial. There's info out there about inserting something to keep the switch from popping out or getting in the way when reassembling, but I think that might be for more recent models?

is yours not turning ON or not turning OFF?

Old 04-12-2010, 10:57 PM
schwangster
Seasoned HDF Member

not turning on.

and no, I did not use the prevention techniques. Thought I could beat the system by using care and caution....DOH

Old 04-12-2010, 11:01 PM
JustDave71
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by schwangster
not turning on.
OK...mine wasn't turning OFF. The actuator has to fully depress the switch in order for the brake light to turn OFF. It's kinda weird.

take your controls apart again. Open the clamshell carefully. Inspect the switch and wires.

it should look like this:

the "nipple" has to go OUT to turn brake light ON, and IN to turn it off

perhaps yours is being kept from going IN?

IF you have the same style brake switch as I do

and no, I did not use the prevention techniques. Thought I could beat the system by using care and caution....DOH
And now you're paying child support AND going to jail! You can't beat the system, dude!

That said, you could just have a broken solder or something. It can be re-soldered but do it right or you'll do it again.

Quick Reply: Front brake switch question