Wheels/Tires Questions and discussion about wheels and tires should be posted here.

Material for tire? Fibreglass/Nylon/Rayon/Aramid/Steel?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 12:35 AM
96ApeKing
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Material for tire? Fibreglass/Nylon/Rayon/Aramid/Steel?

Usually when I change tires, I just go to an indy and let him settle it for me but after I found out 2006 tires were 'mistakenly' put on, I've decided to buy my own.

Dennis Kirk has a whole range of tires but with that said, I have a whole host of problems. There are tires with the different materials/ply as stated in the topic. Which is the better material? For touring or for grip?

Is there something like 2 polyester = 1 fibreglass? Is more layers better? What material is recommended for a 96 Road King other than it having 800+lbs load rating?

Old 09-03-2009, 04:00 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

With all due respect, I suggest you choose tyres by brand rather than what they are made of! The tyre makers have a wide variety of materials to use and different compounds of rubber, and they mix these like the ingredients for a cake, to get the results they want. There are only so many brands, all of whom get mentioned on HDF, who make suitable tyres for our dressers. You may find if it was possible, that some of the things you mention are not used in the heavy duty tyres we need.

Since your bike and mine were made, tyres have improved a lot. So has the thinking behind what is best. For example the MT or 130 wide tyres fitted to our bikes when new are now thought to be marginal on the rear when fully loaded, so I now run an MU/140 wide rear on my 1990 bike. 2009 Harleys have much wider rear tyres now.

The 2006 tyres your indy fitted are probably an upgrade over what you had before. You don't say what they are or what were replaced. It may be your indy thought he was doing you a favour! It is unlikely he fitted tyres that are not suitable. You could read through some of the tyre threads on HDF and decide which brand and model of tyres you would like to try and ask your indy to fit them next time. I prefer Avon Venoms myself.

Last edited by grbrown; 09-03-2009 at 04:06 AM. Reason: Grammar
Old 09-03-2009, 08:57 PM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What ever you don't mix radial with bias. Do one or the other. Cause squirlly handling.

I like Radials but you gotta have a wheel that can use these.

Old 09-05-2009, 03:27 PM
96ApeKing
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok sounds reasonable. I've been using Metzeler 880 all the while. The last 880 that was put on for me was old stock. I changed to Shinko from Korea / Taiwan? Don't matter where it's from quality is the same between them.

Shinko's were marginally good I dare say but not as good as the 880s. It has more grip than the Dunlops!

The only problem the Shinko has was that it looses air at an alarming rate. 40psi on Monday morning would be 30psi on Wednesday morning!

With that said, I'm running Avon Venoms now and although I've only ridden 50 miles on it, I can tell it's the best I've tried. Shinko is still in front so both are bias.

Old 09-07-2009, 06:10 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 96ApeKing
With that said, I'm running Avon Venoms now and although I've only ridden 50 miles on it, I can tell it's the best I've tried. Shinko is still in front so both are bias.
An excellent choice! I use them as well. You must check the correct air pressures for your bike, because Avon often recommend slightly higher pressures than in the Harley handbook. You can check on their website here (bottom right of your screen).