Wheels/Tires Questions and discussion about wheels and tires should be posted here.

Early Roadking rear brake rotor question?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 07:41 AM
2cyclejohn
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Early Roadking rear brake rotor question?

Is it possible to somehow fit a late model rotor to my 1998 king. It now has the cast iron STAR center type. I put late model rotors on the front, they worked out perfect by using a fat O ring to center them up.
Has anyone done this rear brake rotor swap?
John

Old 08-19-2009, 04:51 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Originally Posted by 2cyclejohn
Is it possible to somehow fit a late model rotor to my 1998 king. It now has the cast iron STAR center type. I put late model rotors on the front, they worked out perfect by using a fat O ring to center them up.
Has anyone done this rear brake rotor swap?
John
John,

I updated the brakes on my old FLHS a while back and fitted 13 inch front discs with 6-pot callipers. I wanted to replace the rear disc and calliper as well, but a local indy persuaded me not to. My old disc was scored and I eventually fitted a similar new one plus a braided hose. I can lock it up solo, so it works OK!

That iron disc is thicker than other discs, so if you replace it you may need a new calliper as well. Why do you want to replace it?

Old 08-19-2009, 05:33 AM
2cyclejohn
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wanted to update the rotor from a rusting cast iron unit to Stainless steel rotor. Haven't considered a difference in thickness. I am considering a complete swingarm swap to later model with 1 inch axel. There are some companies out there that Trike out bikes and have that stuff for sale. Early touring swingarms are too flimsy and break at the axel hole. They were not tested well before Harley made millions of them. They corrected that in 2001 and Im thinking thats the way to go. This winter I will be hunting up the needed parts and be ready when my tire wears out.

Ride safe
John

Old 08-19-2009, 07:55 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Hi John,

Here in the UK I didn't find a thick disc that was a suitable replacement, but that was a while ago, so things may have changed. I have been tempted to do as you are planning, with a later swingarm and thicker spindle, but the dollar is expensive at present and shipping costs are high for heavy items like those. Those parts don't turn up over here!