Wheels/Tires Questions and discussion about wheels and tires should be posted here.

Brake problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 08:30 PM
bubbas1
Road Captain
Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Brake problem

I have a 05 EGC. When I grab the front brake there is nothing but slop till the midway point. Then I get pressure and the brakes work. It does not bottom out to the grip. I believe it happened slowly because I am now noticing it. They cannot be pumped up....it always stays grabbing at the halfway mark.

Brake pads have 5k miles on them....nowhere near the wear limit.
No leaks anywhere on system.

Here is what Ive done so far...
rebuilt master cylinder
Bled brakes thru bleed screw
Reverse bled brakes....pushed fluid threw bleed screw and removed from master cylinder.
Checked to make sure both sets of pads are moving when I pull on brake lever...yep they were.
Checked fluid lines for any damage...none found.

Ive searched and read to tie the lever back overnight to try to force air out of the system so thats what I am doing now. Figure it couldnt hurt to try but with all the bleeding Ive done I cant see how air would be in the system..went thru 1/2 a quart of fluid already bleeding them.

Any ideas???

Have an appointment with dealer on Fri but would like to fix it myself.

Thanks

Old 08-11-2009, 10:29 AM
Dutch110
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you rebuilt the caliper (or at least given it a good cleaning?) Sometimes brake dust builds up around the piston seal and they hang up.

Old 08-11-2009, 10:41 AM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

How's the condition of the flex line? If it gets spongy this will eat up some of the pressure as it expands the line. Then full pressure is working for you. Other than that, it's usually air in the system. Are your rotors true as in runout? This causes the pads to be pushed back into the caliper farther than normal. Extra lever movement is needed to set them up against the rotor for braking. Should only have an ever so slight air gap at rotor ane even a light scuff as you turn the wheel on the lift. Hope this might give you some other areas to look at?
Ron

Old 08-12-2009, 03:56 AM
bubbas1
Road Captain
Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Have a light scuff when rolling the bike in neutral and flex line is good.

Tying down lever overnight did nothing.

Will pull calipers and clean to see if that works.

Thanks

Old 08-13-2009, 04:52 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,868 Likes on 2,430 Posts

Originally Posted by Dutch110
Have you rebuilt the caliper (or at least given it a good cleaning?) Sometimes brake dust builds up around the piston seal and they hang up.
I have also had dust build-up on other bikes cause the pads to stick in the calliper body.

Have you tried to pressure bleed them? I have used an auto pressure kit on mine and now have a spare reservoir lid I have adapted to make using it easier.

I suggest replacing the pipes with braided hoses. You will remove that as a possible source of the problem. Try to route the new pipes so they are in the straightest line possible to the handlebars. As long as it is safe to do so, ride the bike and operate the brakes often. When you get back home move the bars to each lock, tap the pipes frequently, to dislodge any trapped air, operate the lever as well.

Any sponginess will be tiny amounts of trapped air. Riding the bike should dislodge them, so they rise up the pipes until they reach the reservoir, or a trap where they cannot easily get past. If you can get them into the reservoir they should disappear. That is what you are trying to achieve!

If all else fails, get it done by a local dealer or indy. I have my bike serviced occasionally before major trips and those SOBS always get the brakes feeling better than I can!

Best of luck.