Wheels/Tires Questions and discussion about wheels and tires should be posted here.

Rear Tire Spacing all wrong. HELP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 10:10 AM
texascoon
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rear Tire Spacing all wrong. HELP!!!!

I just can't figure this one out. 99 FXD rear tire way to close to one side. Rear fender support arms don't appear to be bent, wheel is aligned, yet it is too far to the drive side. 1/2" from the tire to the fender on the drive side and over an 1 1/4" on the brake side. I see no way of spacing it over as I would have to grind the caliper mount arm and add a huge spacer between the pulley and the wheel hub The belt pulley lines up just fine with the drive pulley so I would have to space the pulley away from the wheel at least 3/4'" and that just can't be done without some very special machine work. Everything I see leads me to believe that the frame is bent somewhere and if it is, it should be very obvious, but I just can't see it or measure it! The wierd thing is, the tire is evenly spaced away from the fender, that is to say, it's not cocked to one side. I do think there was an oversized tire put on, but that shouldn't make the tire closer to one side. I really need some help on this one fellows! Is it possible that the wheel hub protrudes farhther from one side than the other? No, that can't be it. You can only mount the pulley on one side. Is the frame bent? If it was, the tire wouldn't be so evenly spaced inside the fender. Is the swing arm bent? If it was, the pulley wouldn't line up so well. Same for the frame, if the frame was bent, wouldn't the whole thing not line up well? No way to adjust the fender either! What am I missing????

Last edited by texascoon; 07-28-2009 at 11:20 PM.
Old 08-04-2009, 03:43 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,864 Likes on 2,428 Posts

Strange! Several thoughts. Do you know of another similar bike you can look over, to see what that is like? Odd things happen and it may be your bike is not unusual. That requires the least effort!

My next suggestion is to check vehicle alignment. You really need a workshop manual if you don't have one. The engine/gearbox/rear wheel are mounted in the frame on rubber and may be out of alignment. Wheel alignment is a different thing and can only be confidently checked if vehicle alignment is correct, as it is possible for the wheels to appear to be in line, but the engine etc out of line.

Old 11-22-2009, 09:36 PM
Not E'nuff Harley
Road Warrior
Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

My '08 FXD rear tire sits closer on the right side. It wasn't noticable until I put the 180 tire on it. Good luck on a cure. I haven't found it...yet!