Wheels/Tires Questions and discussion about wheels and tires should be posted here.

Does anyone else have this problem with brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 06:48 AM
mcdaniel52761
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Does anyone else have this problem with brakes?

When I'm rolling to a stop and pull the clutch in, you can hear the brake rub against the wheel...but only in one spot (it gets less frequent as you slow down) and it goes away when you apply the brakes. I took it to the shop last year and said it should go away as you use the brakes, but so far it hasn't.

Old 03-14-2009, 07:32 AM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Likely a condition where the rotor runout is more than you would like, and a caliper that is sticky. Take my softail for example. Neither the rotor or caliper float on the front wheel. If the rotor is true when the brake is let off, the caliper will relax the pressure and the most you get is a light even rub all the way around which diminishes to no rub as the pads cool. Add some wobble to the disk with a good caliper it should push the pistons back as it goes around to much the same state and once again be silent after pads cool. If the caliper is too stiff to retract it will deflect the disc at each high point and never stop making noise because the friction is high enough to keep the pads warm or hot. Next time you go for a ride stop without using the front brake and feel how warm the caliper and rotor are . If warm, straighten the rotor to see if it gets rid of the scrub. If not, there maybe a clearance issue with the caliper, or seizing from dirt binding the pistons and not relaxing. If the shop you took it to figures that as the pads wear, it will get quiet really don't understand how it works and shouldn't be working on your bike. The slight air gap of clearance will remain the same from a new pad until you grind steel.
Ron

Old 03-14-2009, 08:24 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts

I agree with rbabos try doing some PM by going to my site under DIY and service the calipers as described. Does not cost anything

Old 03-14-2009, 08:37 AM
trip20
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

My brakes both front and back have rubbed against the rotor when the brake levers are NOT depressed since I took the bike off the showroom floor. I've read on here many times that this is normal.

The wheels still spin freely, but you can hear the pads kind of dragging on the rotors. If that's what you're experiencing, I think you're ok.

Old 03-14-2009, 08:43 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Harley's hard brake pads are noisy. Common complaint. You can try chamfering the pads edge and try putting some anti-squeal lube on the back of the pads. Both sometimes help.....or you can put on Kevlar pads and your noise will go away.