Wheels/Tires Questions and discussion about wheels and tires should be posted here.

Tire Age & Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2024, 02:01 PM
dynoking
Cruiser

Received 81 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Paintslinger16
Umm, it’s actually what I did for 21 years is run the DRMO on Fort Drum, I didn’t say the tires were bad, just over shelf life as far as the Army in my case was concerned
Good old DRMO. A junk pickers delight.

The following 2 users liked this post by dynoking:
Goose_NC (07-03-2024), Paintslinger16 (07-03-2024)
Old 07-03-2024, 02:19 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 30,690 Likes on 11,552 Posts

For me on all my vehicles 5 years max on the vehicle…6 years max by date code. They may look good…but they harden and that significantly impacts traction.

my new to me 510 Hp ‘15 Jaguar had 5 year old tires, and it spent its life in Florida. Coming out of a curve, even with traction control and stability control I gave it a bit of throttle and the *** end broke loose. New tires now, same curve, more gas…no breakaway.

oh yeah…what about that traction control????

Old 07-04-2024, 08:04 AM
bustert
Grand HDF Member
Received 787 Likes on 688 Posts

you can get slip even on a new tire. the reason why i like the english tire over the sport tire. i can break traction on a sport tire at 70mph on a wet road. it is more than the compound used or how old. ever drove on a brick street?? i went through an intersection sideways on my 1974 fx, brick has a very low coefficient of friction compared to asphalt or concrete. that said, old concrete with aggregate showing through can be a bear also.

Old 07-05-2024, 01:35 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 30,690 Likes on 11,552 Posts

Originally Posted by bustert
you can get slip even on a new tire. the reason why i like the english tire over the sport tire. i can break traction on a sport tire at 70mph on a wet road. it is more than the compound used or how old. ever drove on a brick street?? i went through an intersection sideways on my 1974 fx, brick has a very low coefficient of friction compared to asphalt or concrete. that said, old concrete with aggregate showing through can be a bear also.
geeze…nobody said you wouldn’t break traction on a new tire. But, the newer the tire the better the grip, on dry, wet, Sandy, gravely roads. Part of traction is the abi,it y of the tire to confirm to surface irregularities.

In science, sometimes a way of testing a theory is to test it at extremes…even if they are unlikely or even unrealistic extremes. If you don’t think the newness of a tire, or pliability of the compound has an impact on traction on irregular surfaces…test it at the extremes. Create a semi rough asphalt surface, create blocks of materiel of different types and same size. Place a concrete block on top of each, on tbe surface and pull with a spring guage…surprise…the newer rubber will take the most force to pull.

Repeat in different surfaces…

Old 07-12-2024, 03:19 PM
Glenn Gorman
Club Member
Received 1,178 Likes on 556 Posts

Either way, I have two new tires both dated for 2024.

The following users liked this post:
Goose_NC (07-12-2024)
Old 07-12-2024, 03:57 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,376 Likes on 4,991 Posts

If it were my bike, I would inspect the tires and if they looked good I would leave the tires on for the trip, as long as you think there is enough tread left to make the trip safely.

Old 07-13-2024, 08:21 AM
bustert
Grand HDF Member
Received 787 Likes on 688 Posts

read mr tg
i said that the compound and such isn't all there is.
the # 1 aspect is contact patch

hummmmmm, maybe 2"
that is why i can break traction and laying on the mushroom isn't any better. that is why i prefer english tire, aka, flat bottom with full contact across the width. yes, it will handle diff but it also gives you more road feel. i prefer a little english in the turn than a feeling of rolling over. i can smoke a sport tire in a little over 2k.
ever run a mexican tire??? they are built for the mexican roads and will perform terribly on usa roads and wet conditions.

Old 07-13-2024, 08:51 AM
NorthWestern
Club Member
Received 6,155 Likes on 3,351 Posts

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
geeze…nobody said you wouldn’t break traction on a new tire. But, the newer the tire the better the grip, on dry, wet, Sandy, gravely roads. Part of traction is the abi,it y of the tire to confirm to surface irregularities.

In science, sometimes a way of testing a theory is to test it at extremes…even if they are unlikely or even unrealistic extremes. If you don’t think the newness of a tire, or pliability of the compound has an impact on traction on irregular surfaces…test it at the extremes. Create a semi rough asphalt surface, create blocks of materiel of different types and same size. Place a concrete block on top of each, on tbe surface and pull with a spring guage…surprise…the newer rubber will take the most force to pull.

Repeat in different surfaces…
Arguing with him is more than pointless. Never seen a more obtuse blowhard than that one.

Last edited by NorthWestern; 07-13-2024 at 08:52 AM.
luckiestiff (07-13-2024)
Old 07-14-2024, 10:44 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,915 Likes on 4,013 Posts

Originally Posted by NorthWestern
Arguing with him is more than pointless. Never seen a more obtuse blowhard than that one.
You talking about Rounders?

dynoking (07-15-2024)
Old 07-15-2024, 10:05 PM
Leimy
Tourer

Received 145 Likes on 98 Posts

Howdy,
Another tire thread. my guys and I must ride a lot. We don't worry about how OLD the tire is, because by 17K miles we are ready for new tires. that's about evey 18-24 months.

My suggestion, RIDE MORE, WEAR OUT DEM TYRES.

Quick Reply: Tire Age & Question