Wheels/Tires Questions and discussion about wheels and tires should be posted here.

Bad Michelin Commander 3s?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2020, 10:20 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 30,679 Likes on 11,547 Posts

Originally Posted by ajmandell
i’m having the same issues with vibration. I noticed the vibration happens between 50 and 60 mph. I took the bike out for 200 miles yesterday and my hands are numb. Does anyone know how to rectify the situation. I had the balance checked three times
I was going to suggest balance. This kind of problem isn’t typical of Michelin.

Old 07-09-2020, 07:01 AM
Randol
Tourer
Received 128 Likes on 76 Posts

Was going to edit my original post but the site wouldn't let me. I've been using Michelin pilot road tires on sport bikes for years, never had any issues regardless of manufacturing location. They went on, balanced, performed, and wore great.
Apparently they have not figured out the heavy cruiser applications. I don't think I'll be trying them on my HDs. The one coming apart above scares the hell out of me.

Old 07-09-2020, 11:24 AM
SFC Old Grey
Advanced
Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

I went to the local bike shop yesterday and they had a Metzler Cruisetech for my SGS on the shelf. They replaced the front tire and all vibrations are gone and the bike runs smooth at all speeds. The above picture of the front C3 (130/60/19) shows the beginning of an apparent separation of tire compounds. I bought the C3s from JP Cycles in February so unfortunately I can't return them. I am now wondering if I should replace the rear tire as well.

Old 07-09-2020, 12:29 PM
amorekelk
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Call jp I bought mines in April tell them what’s going on I called Michelin and I was told jp has to file the claim they are taking mine back

Old 07-09-2020, 01:40 PM
SFC Old Grey
Advanced

Amorekelk,

JP told me it was past the 120 day return period. Is this a return based on warranty?

Old 07-09-2020, 02:02 PM
amorekelk
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got mine April 6th, I called Michelin they told me to have jp file a claim, called jp told them what Michelin told me and told the what’s going on with the tire and point them to this forum , costumer service said seems like factory defect, he told me he marked my account for full refund , two hours later had shipping label in my email

The following users liked this post:
SFC Old Grey (07-09-2020)
Old 07-09-2020, 03:22 PM
SFC Old Grey
Advanced

amorekelk,

Thanks for the info! I just got of the phone with Michelin and they told me this is a known problem with Harley bikes and immediately issued me a claim number. They advised me to go through a local shop and have them file the claim through the distributer since I was past the return dates with JP. Although the bike shop did not have to help out, they hooked me right up.

The following users liked this post:
M Oclaf (01-10-2023)
Old 07-09-2020, 04:15 PM
Dynalmadman
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Well hell. Just bought a set of IIIs last week, installed 2 days ago. Felt ok yesterday and today, but now I'm worried. Guess I'll give em a few miles and see how they shake out.

Michael

Old 07-10-2020, 07:48 AM
touchdown
Supporter

Received 1,754 Likes on 993 Posts

I know some have seen my post and picture. I have been putting the picture up since last summer when my tire fell apart. After reading lots of posts about bad Michelins Tires you would think the federal government would step in. Don't know if anyone has been killed or injured by these tires. As most know no one cares about motorcycles safety, if this was cars they would have been pulled and all would would be refunded in full for both the tire and installation, I was refunded for tire only. my question is can someone with knowledge with computers start a forum ? We could post our complaints and pictures and send them to the DOT and get this product off the market until they make changes and make them safe.

Old 07-10-2020, 01:16 PM
brokefootkenny
Road Captain
Received 165 Likes on 67 Posts

called michelin few minutes ago, lady i spoke to didnt hesitate to issue a claim number, going to dealer for inspection tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Bad Michelin Commander 3s?