Wheels/Tires Questions and discussion about wheels and tires should be posted here.

Bad Michelin Commander 3s?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2020, 10:55 AM
David Alfaro
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Commander 3's

10K Miles on my Commander 3's and vibration has not gone away. I am getting them removed this weekend, must have bought part of the bad batch.

Old 10-15-2020, 07:04 PM
gww303
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2 Bad front tires

I put Commander 3's on back in April and chased the vibration through two front tires. Felt it around 60 but when I leaned left or right it went away only felt it riding straight up. Ended up putting a Dunlop American Elite on and the vibration went away.

Old 10-16-2020, 07:42 PM
REW13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 787 Likes on 652 Posts

Alright.... Crazy questions....
For those with vibrations...
What state are you in?
Reason I ask it want to narrow down the batches of tires.
Next..
Do you have mag or spoked rims?
Reason is had a spoked rim that was hard to balance even with Dunlops on it

I'm not sure how to set up a page where you could select your state, if a mod know how to that would be cool. That way it could narrow down the region... That might help with any issues to have Michelin replace or recall tires.

I just had them put on my 01 fxdl, so far I have put a little over 500 miles on them. No noticeable vibrations but to me, it rides smoother on rougher roads that it did before. I also do not have the seem wobble when running over transitions in the road or tar snake wobbles.

Hope all works well for everyone

Old 10-16-2020, 09:23 PM
JS21
Stage I
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kenbow
A few of us are having weird vibration issues with the new Commander 3, mine vibrates enough to make my feet and arms numb after a short trip, anyone else?
Put Michelin Commander 3’s on my 2018 Ultra after a flat in the middle of a long road trip. Had a horrible vibration between 25-40 (like holding onto a super powered electric razor). When I got back home I took it to the dealer. They put new bearings on, no change, and when that failed, they swapped out with another set of commander 3’s. Still had the vibration in the same range but noticed it went away when I rolled off center of the tires.

Had the Michelin’s taken off and had Dunlop’s installed. Vibration gone, rides smooth as butter.

The following users liked this post:
touchdown (10-17-2020)
Old 10-25-2020, 06:26 AM
tcatnat
Road Master
Received 135 Likes on 98 Posts

Thanks for all the info and details. I am bringing my rear wheel in today to have the OEM replaced (17k miles). I had my mind set on C3's but now I will probably go with Dunlop AE's. For me it's not worth the possible headache of dealing with a replacement should I develop an issue, let alone a catastrophic failure at speed (which I haven't seen posted yet thank God).

The following users liked this post:
tbeatybeaty (09-04-2021)
Old 10-25-2020, 06:33 AM
Kawickrice
Elite HDF Member
Received 3,257 Likes on 1,519 Posts

I put a C3 on my sidehack and have zero issues. I did try to get the newest date code though. FWIW

Old 10-25-2020, 09:27 AM
azgrumbles
Road Captain

Received 281 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by REW13
Alright.... Crazy questions....
For those with vibrations...
What state are you in?
Reason I ask it want to narrow down the batches of tires.
Next..
Do you have mag or spoked rims?
Reason is had a spoked rim that was hard to balance even with Dunlops on it

I'm not sure how to set up a page where you could select your state, if a mod know how to that would be cool. That way it could narrow down the region... That might help with any issues to have Michelin replace or recall tires.

I just had them put on my 01 fxdl, so far I have put a little over 500 miles on them. No noticeable vibrations but to me, it rides smoother on rougher roads that it did before. I also do not have the seem wobble when running over transitions in the road or tar snake wobbles.

Hope all works well for everyone
From the posts I’ve been reading on multiple forums, it’s country wide. But, I’ve only read about (and experienced) this issue on touring bikes.
Edit- I’m in AZ and have mag wheels. My tire set was good until 8000 miles and they all of a sudden started vibrating. Had them removed at 9000 miles. Still waiting on word from Michelin to see if they will warranty them.

Last edited by azgrumbles; 10-25-2020 at 09:34 AM.
Old 10-26-2020, 04:12 PM
tomcat3b
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I installed C3 touring front and rear on my 2017 Road King. I noticed the vibration instantly. I used dyna beads for balancing. I exchanged the front tire for another C3 and again had the vibration. I removed the dyna beads and installed lead weights for balance...it needed 3 ounces...and still had slight vibration. I removed that second front tire and installed a Dunlop American Elite which balanced nicely with no weights. The bike is now smooth at all speeds.

I wont buy Michelin tires ever again.

Old 10-26-2020, 07:27 PM
dgarber12771
Advanced
Received 53 Likes on 29 Posts

I recently had a C3 installed on my 08 Dyna (160/70 17). It's the Cruiser version manufactured 4219 and at 500 miles thus far, no issues.

Old 10-27-2020, 05:30 AM
dajogejr
Road Warrior
Received 898 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by JS21
Put Michelin Commander 3’s on my 2018 Ultra after a flat in the middle of a long road trip. Had a horrible vibration between 25-40 (like holding onto a super powered electric razor). When I got back home I took it to the dealer. They put new bearings on, no change, and when that failed, they swapped out with another set of commander 3’s. Still had the vibration in the same range but noticed it went away when I rolled off center of the tires.
Exactly where I'm at. Regardless of gear or RPM, as soon as I lean it over a smidge, all gone. sucks, grip is great.
Take mine in Saturday for 15K service and we'll see what they say.

Quick Reply: Bad Michelin Commander 3s?