Wheels/Tires Questions and discussion about wheels and tires should be posted here.

Narrow glide hub laced to mid/wide glide rim?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2020, 11:53 AM
Toeslider
Intermediate
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Narrow glide hub laced to mid/wide glide rim?

I would like to know if you can lace a narrow glide hub into a wider wheel without changing spokes? In other words, if I bought a narrow glide hub and a complete wheel for a mid or wide glide bike, could I just lace the hub into the wheel without buying any other parts or getting into taking measurements or calculating new spoke lengths, etc.? Is the part of the hub where the spokes mount generally the same across the board, or are the spokes farther apart from each other side to side on the different hubs? Hope that makes sense.

What I am considering is a 19" or 21" Harley Profile wheel because I like the look, but they all seem to be either mid or wide glide, and that's too wide for the project it would go on (custom springer front end). I think a narrow glide hub would work if I could lace it in. I have plenty of room for the rim and tire width, it's near the hub where the springer arms bolt together where it is tight.

Old 04-12-2020, 12:06 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,987 Likes on 17,898 Posts

Hubs can be laced to a wider rim no problem as long as the rims the size, say like a narrow 21" to a 3" 21". Swapping rim sizes means new spokes.

Talk to these guys, they will hook you up info wise & needed parts if any.

http://www.buchananspokes.com/catego...spoke_sets.asp

Old 04-12-2020, 01:17 PM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Received 2,312 Likes on 1,860 Posts

Complete Wheels with Narrow-glide hubs with 21" Profile rims are available from Sportsters (No 19" Profile though)

Or if you got found a 19" Mid-glide Profile Wheel Assy from a Dyna (there's no 21" Mid-glide), you could use all parts with a 19" Narrow-glide Hub (Not 21" NG hub though...they're different)

Old 04-12-2020, 01:39 PM
Toeslider
Intermediate
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by multihdrdr
Complete Wheels with Narrow-glide hubs with 21" Profile rims are available from Sportsters (No 19" Profile though)

Or if you got found a 19" Mid-glide Profile Wheel Assy from a Dyna (there's no 21" Mid-glide), you could use all parts with a 19" Narrow-glide Hub (Not 21" NG hub though...they're different)

Thanks, this info is very helpful.

I may be using the wrong term, when I say "profile" I'm talking about the smooth profile rim like this picture. Are you saying there is a 21" rim like this laced to a narrow hub for sportsters? I haven't come across anything like that yet. Basically what I want is this type of rim with a narrow hub. Doesn't have to be chrome, I'm open to the black or satin finished ones as well.

Old 04-13-2020, 06:19 AM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Received 2,312 Likes on 1,860 Posts

Originally Posted by Toeslider
... Are you saying there is a 21" rim like this laced to a narrow hub for sportsters?...
Yes... But I don't think they are nearly as common as the "Drop Center" rim (the other one). They may have been just an optional wheel.

Btw, your Pic of the wheel above appears to be a custom compilation assembly of parts ... (ie. Never on a Production bike)

Old 04-19-2020, 06:32 PM
Tileman2692
Road Warrior
Received 548 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by Toeslider
Thanks, this info is very helpful.

I may be using the wrong term, when I say "profile" I'm talking about the smooth profile rim like this picture. Are you saying there is a 21" rim like this laced to a narrow hub for sportsters? I haven't come across anything like that yet. Basically what I want is this type of rim with a narrow hub. Doesn't have to be chrome, I'm open to the black or satin finished ones as well.

man thats a hard rim rim to find new !