Wheels/Tires Questions and discussion about wheels and tires should be posted here.

Front wheel eating bearings?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2019 | 08:48 PM
Screamin beagle
|
Seasoned HDF Member
Default Front wheel eating bearings?

I'm on my second bearing change on the front wheel in 6k this season. The bikes a 2008 cvo road king with about 47k on it. Put new bearings in when I did the tire about 2k ago. Used all ***** brand with the one abs bearing. I followed the fsm for the right sequence and everything is torqued right. The first set, I set the second bearing in so the spacer could just barely move. Soon after it was vibrating and howling in corners. Pull the wheel and the non abs bearing feels,rough when I spin it in the wheel, now here's where it gets weird, after pulling the "bad" bearing I spin it in my hand and it's as smooth as the new one is. So this last time I put the second bearing in and left about a 1/16th of an inch between it and the spacer. Three days later and the vibration is back...not howling yet but I'm sure it's coming. The wheels are stock, spacer and washer are all stock and original equipment. While I'm starting to get very efficient at changing bearings it's starting to get annoying. I also greased the bearings and axle each time. Any thoughts? Should I measure all the parts next time I have it apart? Maybe the spacer or washer are worn? Thanks for any help.

Old 07-25-2019 | 12:07 AM
dfwhockey17
Outstanding HDF Member

There should be no space between the inner race and the crush tube, without the inner races supported by the crush tube when the axle is torqued the bearings will fail. Seat the first bearing, install the crush tube and draw the other bearing in until it is touching the crush tube lightly. When you torque the axle it will not have any side load on it and should last just fine...

Old 07-25-2019 | 05:54 AM
Screamin beagle
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Ok...so the crush tube should have no movement at all? The fsm is pretty vague on how far to seat that second bearing. I knew it was me and not the bearings lol. Looks like I'll be ordering another set today. Thanks for the help

Old 07-25-2019 | 11:21 AM
dfwhockey17
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Screamin beagle
Ok...so the crush tube should have no movement at all? The fsm is pretty vague on how far to seat that second bearing. I knew it was me and not the bearings lol. Looks like I'll be ordering another set today. Thanks for the help
Correct, think of it like you are trying to make the outer wheel spacers, the inner bearing races and the crush tube one solid piece so when you torque the axle everything is supported across from side to side between the swingarm keeping from side loading the inner bearing races...