Wheels/Tires Questions and discussion about wheels and tires should be posted here.

Brake groan

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2016, 09:13 AM
ARBOC
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brake groan

I bought a 21 inch wheel tire combo I need the spring. It has always made noise since day one. The last few months the brake are groining a lot when I apply the brakes at low speed. My last 21inch combo did this but not this bad. How would I make this stop. I was thinking about replacing the pads and cleaning the rotor

Anyone else have this isssue? And if so what did you do?

Old 12-08-2016, 06:24 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Bleed your brand and change all the brake fluid, especially if it is a long time since that was last done. Remove and clean your pads and pistons, use some suitable lubricant on the back of the pads (but check your FSM). Carefully clean your rotor with a suitable degreaser to ensure there is no grease on the friction surfaces.

Old 12-15-2016, 07:33 AM
Ridewright Wheels
Former Sponsor
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Was the rotor or pads replaced at the time of the wheel change? If not, is it possible the rotor is on backwards or the pads installed in reverse of their original installation? Sometimes, a long period of rotation in one direction will cause a noise issue when reversed.

Old 07-31-2017, 07:08 PM
Dom F
Stage IV
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2014 FLH Ultra Classic with 17,000 miles that started to do this very thing after changing the front and rear pads. The noise occurred under similar circumstances. When I changed the OEM pads with OEM pads I used the brake quiet that comes with the kit and followed the directions accordingly. However within the first 500 miles the bike started making the annoying groan/goose honk!

What I did to rectify the problem was something that I read on this very blog. I first tried this on the rear pads using the process of elimination. I removed the pads, sanded them down lightly and then cleaned all of the original break quiet off of the back of the pads and then used the silver ANTI SEIZE applying it with the supplied brush.

i then reassembled everything and went for a ride. Amazingly the noise disappeared from the rear brakes during the short ride with cool brakes and the long ride with hot brakes while the front brakes continued to make the noise.

After getting home and letting the bike cool off I performed the same procedure to the front brakes and the noise disappeared from them as well. I have since ridden approximately 1700 miles with no groan or embarrassing goose honking when stopping. I hope this procedure last for me and for other's out there who choose to try it.

As far as the dealership was concerned they initially told me that they couldn't replicate the noise and then once it did it as I was driving my bike out of the service garage they tried to say that it was normal. "RIGHT" As for the Anti Seize I used it's called (PERMATEX ANTI SEIZE LUBE). Just make sure you just use a light coat where you would normally apply the brake quiet and DO NOT GET ANY on the front of the pads. I HOPE THIS HELPS.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2017, 07:17 PM
brakeless
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,688 Likes on 2,725 Posts

When I was in High School (long time ago) I told the neighbor kid on the annoying Kawasaki 500 the best way to quiet his brakes down was to apply a thin film of oil. His old man wanted to kill me! Well, c'mon now, it worked.