Wheels/Tires Questions and discussion about wheels and tires should be posted here.

E-Z Tire Beads? as good as Dyna Beads? also Counteract? Airsoft BBs?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 12:15 AM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,276 Likes on 840 Posts
Default E-Z Tire Beads? as good as Dyna Beads? also Counteract? Airsoft BBs?

Too many choices, will E-Z Tire Beads work the same as Dyna Beads?

EZ Beads link

have been reading, but thought someone might have input. Didn't know if they were a lower quality brand of bead etc.

So....

EZ Beads, Dyna Beads, Counteract? which is best?

Counteract Beads link

Also reading about airsoft BBs instead. ?? is this safe? how much per tire?

Old 08-26-2016, 05:29 PM
Ridewright Wheels
Former Sponsor
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Dynamic balancers have been around forever. The concept is simple: The tire/wheel assembly will shake, which distributes the aggregate (glass beads, plastic BB's, sawdust, whatever) inside the tire, redistributing it over and over until it's such that the assembly doesn't shake anymore. At this point, centrifugal force holds the aggregate there.... until you hit a bump, or slow down or stop, then it has to do this all over again. What this means is that if the imbalance is enough to begin with, the result might be a bit of shimmy/shake until the stuff settles out....EVERY time you stop and start off again. That tends to get old pretty quick.

A BIG problem with the powders is the need for dry air. Humid air causes clumping, even with the glass beads, which tend to generate a fair amount of static inside the tire as well. Filling tires can be a challenge as well, since the stuff likes to get caught in the cores, causing leaks at the stem.

MOST tire/wheel assembly imbalance is caused by the tube. They are seldom equally distributed inside the tire unless done VERY carefully. What's usually best is to run a quality wheel that is balanced to begin with and a quality tire and seal the rim if spoked, to run without a tube. Then, add the weight needed, and it should be very little, if any.

Old 08-26-2016, 05:32 PM
luc.who
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

take a look at ride on before you choose beads.

Old 08-26-2016, 05:43 PM
MatteGlide15
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 600 Posts

^^^THIS !!!

Old 08-29-2016, 10:21 PM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Ridewright Wheels
Dynamic balancers have been around forever. The concept is simple: The tire/wheel assembly will shake, which distributes the aggregate...
Thanks. I know what they are, used frequently in trucking. Just reading about so many different types wondering what the good route is. I like the airsoft BB idea (mentioned on this forum in a few posts), hence the questions.

Old 08-29-2016, 10:23 PM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by luc.who
take a look at ride on before you choose beads.
thanks, have have read pros/cons on it. Gonna run beads at this point but open to the idea down the road. Thanks.

Old 08-04-2017, 04:55 AM
NDRK
Cruiser
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts

Want some real info on this go to www.st-owners.com. Lots of good info for riding.

Old 08-04-2017, 06:26 PM
northeastconfederate
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have rarely had my bike tires balanced. I JUST put a new front tire on the day before taking a 300 mile trip, and decided to try balancing beads. I put them in the rear tire when I replaced it a few months back and haven't noticed any change for better or worse as a result. However, after putting the recommended 2 oz in my front tire (2 oz for a 130/90/16 gront tire), I found that the front wheel shook like crazy at speeds above 80 mph. When I looked down at the axle caps it was very obviously, visibly being yanked fore and aft rapidly. And I was traveling at 80+ for 3+ hours. A miserable ride. When I arrived at my destination I took my bike to the local shop and had them dismount the tire and remove the beads completely. It is now smooth as glass.

Maybe with less weight the beads would work well - 2 oz is a hell of a lot of weight for a ture that size. And Counteract's web site does say for sport bikes which will be operated at high speeds to use a small amount (I forget what, maybe 1/4 oz?) and increase the amount as needed. I called them about this, since I do ride faster than most folks but the tech guy still recommended 2 oz, saying that HD tires are heavy and generally poorly balanced. My experience says the opposite: they're generally well balanced - as long as they aren't Dunlops. I'm going back to my old tried and true method: spoon em on and ride it.....