Wheels/Tires Questions and discussion about wheels and tires should be posted here.

Dumb Springer wheel question

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 04:27 PM
mischief
Tourer
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Dumb Springer wheel question

I have searched several companies and tried to find a nice set of rims for my 06 FXSTS and no luck. Maybe I am the dumb one as some have told me that their 21 x 2.15" wheel will ONLY work on a wide glide springer. Now is that "wide glide" for the FL series or does Harley only make a wide glide for the springers and only difference is spacing?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Also, no one seems to carry the stock 17x6 size rim in the aftermarket world, do I have to go to a 18x5.5?

Old 01-26-2016, 11:09 AM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Received 2,312 Likes on 1,860 Posts

Possibly it may have a different laced offset than the other wideglide 21 x 2.15 wheels ?

Your FXSTS is unique by having the Single front brake rotor on the RIGHT-Side, unlike all other models having it on the Left-side.

Yes, they just flip the wheel, but maybe there is a different offset laced in?

Do you have a service manual? You could compare that dimension between the FX Springers and FXST.

If that's only it, you probably could have the wheel moved over.

Just throwin' it out there

Old 01-26-2016, 01:43 PM
mischief
Tourer

First off I will let you know is that I am looking to get rid of the spokes. (haha to each their own right)
I talked to companies about their cast 21" wheels and some think you can just flip them to work with the right side braking but say it only works on a wide glide springers. So I guess one question is a stock FX springer considered a wide glide, mid glide, or narrow glide springer?

Old 01-26-2016, 03:51 PM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Received 2,312 Likes on 1,860 Posts

FXST and FLST Springers would be considered "wide glide" just as the traditional fork models are (but probably length differences and brake disc sides). I can see that the wide glide hubs are used on each.

So, do you have a Factory Service Manual? just curious if there any differences given in the lacing dimensions which would give some info even if you wanted to move to "mag" wheel

Old 01-26-2016, 04:08 PM
Baja272
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was going through this same thing a few months ago. I have a 1998 fxsts and was looking for fat spoke rims. Most companies said that they would not work on a springer front end. I ended up just ordering one for a fxst and it bolted right up. I'm not sure if harley made any changes on the springer from my 98 to your 06 but after looking at mine the original rim is not offset at all. The spacer on the clutch side is 1/4 inch bigger so it kicks the rim over. After talking to a few people and I still find it hard to believe but I guess harley did this to have the tire sit center in the fender that is made offset for some reason. Hope this helps

Old 01-26-2016, 09:27 PM
mischief
Tourer

Thank you both. At this time I do not have the service manual (is on the list to get). I was hoping that was the answers. Not new to Harleys, but new to spingers so I wasn't certain.

Any ideas on the rear about having to go to a 18". Kinda narrows the tire choices huh.

Old 02-12-2016, 06:37 PM
thor56
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by mischief
Thank you both. At this time I do not have the service manual (is on the list to get). I was hoping that was the answers. Not new to Harleys, but new to spingers so I wasn't certain.

Any ideas on the rear about having to go to a 18". Kinda narrows the tire choices huh.
Look in an older harley parts book (06 - 07). Harley had mag wheels that they sold for the 06 FXST and FXSTS.

I recently put a set of 10 Spoke Revolver Wheels off a 07 FXSTS SE on my 06 FXSTS. I used the stock rear pulley and had to put a 1/2 spacer between the wheel and pulley with longer bolts.

I have a rear 17" X 6 New Chrome Wheel (Disc wheel with the holes) I took off.

there were several 21" mag wheels available as well. I agree with those above on the 21" wheel. the main difference is the brake rotor side. I just turned the wheel and remounted the tire.

Old 02-13-2016, 11:57 AM
mischief
Tourer

Thanks Thor, Any pix you can show?

Old 02-13-2016, 02:29 PM
thor56
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Here is a pic with the wheels installed. And also a pic of the wheel for sale

06 FXSTS with 07 FXSTS SE wheels and rotors

06 Chrome Wheel with 3/4" bearing. Also have stock rotor and Chrome Wheel Spacers that are now obsolete

Old 02-14-2016, 08:17 AM
mischief
Tourer

[QUOTE=thor56;14836997]Here is a pic with the wheels installed. And also a pic of the wheel for sale

06 FXSTS with 07 FXSTS SE wheels and rotors

Thor, so u put the fatter front wheel on with no issues or remeasure spacers? I am trying to rid of my rear wheel as well, don't like spoke on front or (mostly) solid on back. Haha

Quick Reply: Dumb Springer wheel question