Wheels/Tires Questions and discussion about wheels and tires should be posted here.

Quick and dirty Dynabead install

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 11:33 PM
TooEasy
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs up Quick and dirty Dynabead install

Folks,

The product works, IMHO, and it lets you get rid of those ugly weights on your pretty chromed wheels. The rear tire in my Road King is a car tire with 3 oz. of dynabeads, and the front is an 18" radial with 1.5 oz. It rides smooooooth.
The good thing about Dynabeads is that they work with tubeless tires or with innertubes, and they are cheap and easy to install. It doesn't make a difference if the tire is off the bike or not, but you have to let the air out first, install the 'beads, then air up

The kit, I added the electric engraver, it makes life easy

Tiny ceramic *****, careful when you open up the bag, because they rollllll...!!!

The kit comes with "filtered valve cores" but they are too long for our application, maybe with innertubes they might work. I reused my old short valve cores with no problem. That fine screen mesh in the valve core is supposed to keep the 'beads from coming back up and plugging up the valve stem, but this has never happened to me, and I only have used the short valve cores

Remove your valve core. After you get the amount of Dynabeads you are going to put in the tire into the applicator bottle, screw on the short hose into the bottle and then into the valve stem. As soon as you tip over the bottle, the Dynabeads are going to bunch up into the valve stem, clogging it up

So you get the electric engraver (or an electric sander, or *****, or jackhammer, something that vibrates, lol) and hold it to the valve stem, then watch the Dynabeads roll into the tire. Then air up and you are good to go. That was waaaaaay too easy.

Link for the company that sells them
http://www.innovativebalancing.com/

Regards,

Last edited by TooEasy; 07-25-2010 at 10:13 AM.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:16 AM
96roadking
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How did you ensure the proper amount went in? premeasured packets?

Old 07-25-2010, 10:08 AM
TooEasy
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Dynabeads

Originally Posted by 96roadking
How did you ensure the proper amount went in? premeasured packets?
They have premeasured packets. Go to the link and look at the motorcycle section. The 5 oz packet I had was a leftover from a large truck offroad tire.

Another one of the reasons why its so easy, is that you don't have to have the EXACT amount, like in lead weights. With Dynabeads, if you need 2 oz. and you have a 5 oz. packet, just pour a little less than half in the applicator bottle. Plus or minus a little will do just fine, no worries.

Regards,

Last edited by TooEasy; 07-25-2010 at 10:16 AM.
Old 07-25-2010, 03:37 PM
av8or
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Yep I totally agree about them working. I was a skeptic, but thought what the hell and gave them a try. No lead on my disc wheels and smooth as silk. One thing I like is they rebalance over the life of the tire. And tires do change as they wear. And yes a ***** works well. Just don't let the old lady see you sneaking it out to the shop.

Old 09-09-2010, 10:32 AM
murph
Elite HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

I have mine on order with my new E3's to go on my Road King. I also saw where someone used an air hose and a longer tube. They filled up the tube with all of the beads and gave it a little shot of air from a compressor. The beads went right in.

Old 09-10-2010, 04:01 PM
mike35672
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These things really work well. Ran in metric touring bike and increased tire life a great deal , Goldwing , known for front tire cupping

Old 03-20-2011, 03:44 PM
Trek
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The State of Washington has outlawed lead weights. SO, now the dealer sticks on weights with double-stick tape that require TWICE the mass of lad weights. Looks like heck on the rim and they flopped loose after just 2 months of riding.

I'm going to try the Dyna Beads....