Welcome Area Only New Member Welcome Area Only. Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what Harley Davidson you own. Save your bike related questions for the proper area.

New Harley Owner in North-Central Michigan

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2014 | 10:29 AM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member

Good place to start,Welcome to the Forums

Old 09-05-2014 | 11:34 AM
TcHunter
Outstanding HDF Member

Welcome to the forum.

Old 09-06-2014 | 12:26 AM
Dake
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Welcome to the forum from Georgia

Old 09-09-2014 | 08:23 AM
Longhair4life
Extreme HDF Member

Welcome!!!

Old 09-13-2014 | 07:42 AM
EagleRay
Ultimate HDF Member

Hi Sean, Welcome to the Forums from good ol' Germany!

Old 01-09-2015 | 12:25 PM
Windknot
|
3rd Gear
Default ReIntroduction........

This is my second "first" post.

This was my "first-first":

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/new-m...l#post13181283

I registered and was ready to rock-and-roll last September and when I went to pick up my Electraglide from the dealer, I asked for a complete rundown of all functions.

During the "warm up" the engine blew. I spent the next 5 days arguing with the dealer/owner to get my deposit back. I eventually got my cash back, but learned a valuable lesson about where to go in the future.

Fast-forward 4 months, a guy that I'd talked to about a stroked Sporty messaged me and his father-in-law was ready to deal......he (the 77 year old father-in-law/owner of the Sporty) needed quick cash to pay for his house arrest tether/ankle bracelet for repeated drunk driving offenses.

I knew the seller/son, I knew people who knew the bike, I knew other people who knew the shade-tree that installed the big-bore kit and the price was beyond reasonable.........the only problem was it was the second week of January and when I went to look at the Sporty, it was 2º F outside, and the Sport was stored in an unheated shed. It was described to me as needing a new battery, oil change and maybe carb cleaned as it had set for a long time.

Unfortunately or fortunately if you look at it differently, it had been sitting empty for a while.....The upside was, there was no old gas in it, downside was, we had to pull the air cleaner to pour some gas direct to the carb and partially fill the tank.

It started on the second or third try with a jump box attached to the battery. It ran well and made the appropriate noise to make me whip out a wad of cash and take possession of the title. The seller has agreed to trailer it to the aforementioned shade-tree wrench who DOES have a heated shop where the seller has agreed to pay labor and I'll pay for the battery, oil and rebuild kit if necessary for the carb. Once it's done, the seller will then trailer it to my hangar at the airport where it will sit covered with fresh mix of gas and Stabil till spring.

I've got lots of questions and lots of time to get them answered before Mother Nature gets back to riding weather.

This is my first Harley and my first bike owned in 10+ years.

Old 01-09-2015 | 12:30 PM
the wild hog
Seasoned HDF Member

Welcome

Old 01-09-2015 | 12:37 PM
howitzer88
Outstanding HDF Member

Welcome from NYC! Why didn't the dealer just give you another EG that was in stock?

Old 01-09-2015 | 12:42 PM
Windknot
|
3rd Gear

It was an 86/Special Edition (light metallic blue) - he is an independent shop that sells used bikes and a crapload of used and new parts. If you need a seat, he hands you a screwdriver and points to the room with seats stacked up in piles and says "have at it."

I wanted to keep my money local and help the little guy out and ignored the signs all around me. He had agreed to have some minor stuff fixed before I picked it up and he promised it to me 5 days after I put my money down. It took 20 days before it was "done." With lots of excuses....which, again, I chose to ignore.

So...long story short, I'm helping a guy near me out, the Sporty will fit my mission well, was dirt cheap and I know and trust the guy selling it this time.

Old 01-09-2015 | 01:15 PM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Welcome to the forum.

Quick Reply: New Harley Owner in North-Central Michigan