Welcome Area Only New Member Welcome Area Only. Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what Harley Davidson you own. Save your bike related questions for the proper area.

Not a real Biker

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2014 | 03:01 PM
Capt Natr
|
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Not a real Biker

I grew up on and around ranches. Around the barn, there were always discussions on who was a real cowboy and who were posers, wanna be's, and city cowboys.

Many years later, I spent seven years living on a sailboat and sailing around the Carribean, there was always talk about who were real sailors and who were fakes or weekend fair-weather landlubbers.

Last year, I hiked part of the Appalachian Trail. Around the shelters and camp fires every night were talk of who the real hikers were and who was doing it wrong.

In 1967, 68, and 69 I raced dirt bikes. I wasn't good enough to get a sponsor and couldn't afford to go pro. My dad bought me a 200cc Yamaha street bike and I got a job and finished school. Two years later, I traded for a 750 Yamaha and during the next 5 years, wore that bike out.

By then, my career was well under way and I bought my first car. The next thirty five years was spent raising a family and making my way through life.

I'm retired now and have a yen for riding motorcycles again. I started reading and checking out motorcycle sites and quickly discovered that things have changed since the 70's. Now riders spend a lot of time pointing out that some riders are not "real bikers". There are evidently "RUBS", "Squids", "Posers", Fakes", and "Weekend Warriors".

I liked this forum the best so far so I'll check in and say Hi from Central Florida. I'll let y'all decide what category I fit in but I'll admit I'm not a "real biker".

I have a 4WD SUV so I don't have to ride in the rain or inclement weather. I don't have to try to haul groceries on a bike.

You don't need to wave back at me when I wave. As a matter of fact, if you really want to be safe, respond by displaying your middle finger tall and proud and I will reward with a grin as we pass. This is because I'm just happy to be alive and riding. I'll also wave at scooters, mopeds, bicycles, station wagons, compact cars, and pickup trucks.

There is a lot of important information and wisdom here and I'm glad to have found this site. If I make a few friends, that is a great bonus. So-
Hello from Winter Haven, FL, Nat

Old 08-06-2014 | 03:13 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,075 Likes on 2,558 Posts

Welcome to the "New Members Area".

Old 08-06-2014 | 03:25 PM
sucherman
Club Member
Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts

welcome R.U.B.. JK

Old 08-06-2014 | 03:30 PM
the wild hog
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,964 Likes on 2,921 Posts

Welcome

Old 08-06-2014 | 03:39 PM
Iceman103
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome to the forum

Living on a sailboat for seven years and sailing around the Caribbean? ...sounds nice

Old 08-06-2014 | 03:39 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 49,999 Likes on 19,392 Posts

Welcome To The Forum From The Great Lakes State.

Old 08-06-2014 | 04:03 PM
Melman
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome and there is nothing better than a man who not only is honest about himself but isn't trying to be something he's not. Cudos to you and don't forget to wave to me as you pass my truck pulling the trailer with my bike on it to the next biker rally.

Old 08-06-2014 | 04:52 PM
jerry98b
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good enough in my book, but I'm pretty sure I'm not a real biker either. Welcome to the forums!

Old 08-06-2014 | 05:18 PM
jabanas1
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you ride a bike your a biker. It doesn't matter what anyone says as long as you are happy and having fun riding your bike. Who's to tell anyone they are a biker or not. Welcome to the forum from Indiana. I've only been riding since June 7th. Took care of my family for 38 years. This year my wife said its time to by myself a bike. I took time and found a 2005 Dyna Superglide with 23,650 miles with the engine upgrade from 88 inches to 95 inches for $5500.00. I have been have fun ever since. Keep the shiney side up and the wind in your hair.

Old 08-06-2014 | 06:01 PM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor
Received 1,951 Likes on 1,935 Posts

A big welcome to you from sunny Southern California. Glad to have you on board.

Quick Reply: Not a real Biker