Welcome Area Only New Member Welcome Area Only. Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what Harley Davidson you own. Save your bike related questions for the proper area.

Potential Newbie from Scotland!

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2014 | 06:49 AM
Tmac88
|
Stage II
Default Potential Newbie from Scotland!

Hey Guys,

New to the forum so I thought I'd say hi and ask for some advice!

I'm 25 years old from Aberdeen, Scotland and am looking at picking up a bike this year.
I started biking from 16 when I had an Aprillia RS50 then took my test when I was 20 and got a Yamaha FZR400RR. Never rode it much as I couldn't get much confidence on it, mainly due to my size (5ft 5").
Anyway sold it when I was 22 and thought I was done with biking as the roads are quite dangerous up here (idiot car drivers!). But I decided to get a bike again as I started considering a cruiser, as it would be less dangerous for my as its not as quick as sports bikes and they are a lot lower so would help with my height issue, hopefully giving me more confidence.

I was set on getting a vulcan 900 custom but think if I'm getting a cruiser a Harley is the only way to go. Would love a softail slim but they are too expensive for me just now so think I would go for an Iron 883 and maybe upgrade in the future to a softail.

Would like some opinions of this, if you think its a good choice for me etc or whether i should wait a couple years to get the softail first. I would like to sit on them etc first but the nearest dealer is about 2 hours away!

My only concern is the weight when doing slow riding but would do plenty practice before properly taking it out.

Look forward to replies and to be potentially part of the Harley community!

Old 01-30-2014 | 07:38 AM
wolfgordon24
Novice

Even overseas the Harley is ruling is ruling the roads!! hellz yea

Old 01-30-2014 | 08:25 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Welcome to the "New Members Area".

Old 01-30-2014 | 09:26 AM
lemonade_07flstc
Extreme HDF Member

Welcome to the Forms from Central IL. Sportys are great especially for hopping around and being lighter. Dynas are a bit bigger but are a good cruise around bike and can handle the curves also. For all out cruising though I love my Heritage, doesnt have a lot of lean angle but I do not try to fly around the curves either. Is a bit heavier than what your thinking of but the weight really helps it to balance itself plus sits pretty low. Look at Chickins signature pic bike, a great looking bike and sits low for the Vertically challenged.

If possible the best thing for you to do is go test ride several bikes and get what feels right for you and what looks good to you. Can always buy used if money is an option, new is great but for me I got my Heritage a few years old with low miles and was more affordable that way.

Good luck on your decision.

Old 01-30-2014 | 09:43 AM
sportyscoop
Cruiser

Welcome from across the pond. I've got some Scotch in my blood, some from drinking it, and some from genetics. ;-)

Thinking of a Harley? They are introducing the brand new Street line this spring, a 500 and a 750 model. Thinking that the 750 might be interesting to look at. I don't know what the price point would be in the UK, but, test ride one if you can. Generally, the Sportster model is not designed for the vertically challenged rider. Seat height due to frame design is relatively high. Those that are lowered lose comfort in suspension travel as it is reduced to nill. Your butt will complain after 50 minutes or 50 miles (80.5 Km)! I know, I own both a Sportster and a Road Glide. The suspension comfort difference between the two is miles apart. The Touring bikes are built for comfort. The Sportster is built for handling and short sporting rides. I feel that the Dyna platform is the best for you, or possible the Softail, both have lower standard seat height. Look for used Dyan Low Riders or Softail Deluxe models. Don't forget that new Street model soon to be released.

You must have some excellent back country roads up in the Highlands or Lowlands of Scotland to ride on, report back when you make your choice. Happy Hunting.

Sportyscoop

CT USA

Old 01-30-2014 | 11:17 AM
wyndnface
Extreme HDF Member

Greetings and welcome from California

Old 01-30-2014 | 11:30 AM
Tmac88
|
Stage II

Thanks for the replies!

Would probably take a softail or dyna over a sportster but money is the issue. Plus I would probably rather have a brand new sportster instead of a 2nd hand dyna/softail.

Like you said the only way to gauge it is by test driving which i will get round to doing. The seat height of the 883 is about 2" smaller than my FZR so i think i would be fine on it as i wasnt too far off flat footing that. Could still add a lower seat plus I would like to lower the back a bit as it sits too high standard.

Old 01-30-2014 | 12:24 PM
EagleRay
Ultimate HDF Member

Hi and Welcome to the Forums from Germany!

Old 01-30-2014 | 03:03 PM
oct1949
Club Member

Congrats and welcome to HDF from Indiana.
Their are many sections in here that have about anything you want to learn or ask about your bike and you'll also learn a lot just reading through them.

Old 01-30-2014 | 03:47 PM
the wild hog
Seasoned HDF Member

Welcome

Quick Reply: Potential Newbie from Scotland!