Welcome Area Only New Member Welcome Area Only. Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what Harley Davidson you own. Save your bike related questions for the proper area.

how big is to big for a newbi

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2005 | 02:38 PM
joetoyc
|
Novice
Default how big is to big for a newbi

hello every one. im some what new to the forum. i have made a few post. im preparing to get my 1st street bike. im scheduled to take the riders safty course next month. what i would like is some opinions on , how big of a bike is to big for a new rider.i have read and been told that a new rider should start with a 800cc or less bike. also to by the cheapest piece you can find,because "you will lay it down". i rode dirt bikes for year. now i know its not the same. but the basic principles are the same. i never laid any of my dirt bikes down unless i was being stupid. im looking at getting a dyna superglide. i might ever purchase on this weekend. is this to much machine for a new rider. i now its completly up to me. but i would really like some advice. the truth of the matter is this......I WANT A HARLEY!!!!! i am not at all interested in riding any thihg but a harley. so please all you seasoned rides please please help me out.

thanks

joe c

Old 08-26-2005 | 02:40 PM
12Stones
Seasoned HDF Member
Default RE: how big is to big for a newbi

I've heard of people starting on Electraglides. Go sit on some Harleys, test ride some if possible, find out what feels right for you. I don't think the cc's are going to be a problem on the Harleys. Also, height will play a little into it. Spend some time sitting on bike in a dealership to get a feel for what they might be like.

Old 08-26-2005 | 02:47 PM
joetoyc
|
Novice

fast reply thanks. i have been going out to the dealer a lot latlely. and i do like the fill of the superglides. i really felt comfortable on a lowider i sat on last week. but it was a little pricey. im 5' 11' 190-195lbs.
[quote]ORIGINAL: 12Stones

Old 08-26-2005 | 03:04 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member

Howdy, Stones was right about trying before you buy. I sat on some Harleys before I decided what I wanted. I had my eye set on a Springer and I liked the way that it felt and looked. It's really a personal thing, but, because of the money that will be invested, do all the riding that you can do, then pick out the bike that feels and handles the best for you. Hope that this helps, good luck

Old 08-26-2005 | 03:21 PM
commander112
Road Master

I'm really a newbie to riding Harley's. I only have had seat time on 600cc sportbikes before and I can say this much, the Harley is VERY easy to adjust to. I was concerned about the weight and size of the bike as compared to my Yamaha R6. In reality, it took about 5 miles of riding my new Softail Deluxe and I was at ease with the bike. You just need to make sure you get your feet down when coming to a stop to make sure you control the weight of the bike were on the lighter bike you can play with it and balance the bike at a stop. I find that I feel safer and in more control on the Harley than the "twitchy" sportbike. I'm sure you'll adjust to it quickly. Don't do anything stupid, as you already know from your dirtbike days, and you'll be fine.

Mark

Old 08-26-2005 | 03:25 PM
McSporster
Advanced

I'm new, too, as my only experience goes back to a smaller Honda some 30 years back. After doing a lot of what's been shared and suggested here (...sitting on a lot of bikes, etc.), I ran into a "deal" on a new 1200C Sportster and, so far, I love it! I'm 5'8", 160 and it "fits" well, 'though I have come close to dropping it a couple of times -- and, as heavy as it feels when "catching" it, I can just imagine what it would be like to have a larger/heavier one go over. ...still, the bigger Glides sure do look inviting already!!

I did look and seriously considered buying a smaller ("Metric") bike that would be even lower, weigh less and have somewhat less power, but believe I got and heeded good advice to start with one that I can enjoy and stay with a while. And, while I'm already doubtful that the Sportster will be a real comfortable "2 up/long trip" for the wife and me, I do still feel (...after a whopping 250 miles experience!;-) that it'll be a keeper for a long time. I can already "feel" that a 650 - 800 CC would have been too small/underpowered and I would have already been sick for having bought one. ...just my experience and opinion, of course. ...and, oh yeah, I'm taking the MC safety course this weekend, so will really be an "expert" then!;-) (...just like when I earned my pilot's license a "few" years back, it's quickly obvious that a motorcycle license/endorsement is a "license to learn").

Old 08-26-2005 | 03:29 PM
iceburgh
Road Warrior

Super Glide's a Great bike to start with. Don't worry about the weight, it's well balanced. I love mine. Handles like a dream. But, as others have stated you need to check them out first, sit on em, rent if you can and try them out.

Old 08-26-2005 | 05:14 PM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member

Dude,

Go ride 'em. Don't buy one without riding it...we spend TOOO much money on them not to be certain. Many do, and things work out fine, but, why not ride it first?

As for how big is too big? No such thing

Mac

Old 08-26-2005 | 06:31 PM
VRodbanker
Advanced

Welcome to the site. I am relatively new to street bikes and Harleys. I've been riding dirt bikes since I was 9. I bought my first street bike in June of this year. An '05 VRSCA- V Rod. I love it. My Uncle who is also new to street bike s purchased a Low Rider at the same time. No problem. Like everyone else said, the bikes are well balanced. Don't be stupid and you will be fine. Good Luck with your purchase.

Old 08-26-2005 | 06:40 PM
HDF Tech
Banned

Welcome to the forum Joe, let's see some pics of your ride.

Quick Reply: how big is to big for a newbi