Welcome Area Only New Member Welcome Area Only. Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what Harley Davidson you own. Save your bike related questions for the proper area.

New member. Deciding on bike

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2013 | 05:06 PM
UkCatsHarley
|
Cruiser
Default New member. Deciding on bike

Hey guys. New member here. Taking my motorcycle class in a few weeks. Can't decide to get a cheap beater bike to use for a year to get my feet wet. Was going to get a used iron but seems most say ill want a bigger one in a few months. Prolly will pick up a used bike ($1500 or so). Then sell after a year to get a used street bob. Opinions welcome.

Old 04-10-2013 | 05:11 PM
2011Deluxe
Banned

Welcome!

Old 04-10-2013 | 05:11 PM
BMF18
Intermediate

Hello and welcome to the forums. I took the motorcycle class and then bought a beginner bike. Not less then a year later, I wanted something bigger and more powerfule (a Harley). My advice is see how comfortable you are after the mc course. If you feel fairly confident, go ahead and buy the Street Bob. Just be sure to practice on it often and don't get too confident. Save your $1500 and the headache of trying to sell or trade-in your beginner bike. If I had to do it all over again, I'd skip the beginner bike and go straight to the Harley. I'm still trying to sell my beginner bike.

Old 04-10-2013 | 05:14 PM
FXR_Hamster
Road Master

Lots of factors to consider. New rider, any previous experience would help. Taking a Motorcycle safety course is Always a Good Idea ! A common trend is to buy a "beginner" bike and learn on it, but some folks dive in, depends on your skills , comfort level and wallet size. A few folks will buy a Sportster or Dyna as first HD sometimes because they find a Road King or softail intimidating , but each bike becomes smaller after you have been riding it a bit. It really comes down to your abilities and your comfort levels. After you have been riding a while it might be worth checking out a Dealer Ride Program, once you are confident to do so. Hope this helps, and welcome to the forum.

Old 04-10-2013 | 05:25 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Welcome to the "New Members Area".

Old 04-10-2013 | 05:48 PM
target64
Outstanding HDF Member

welcome from new york

Old 04-10-2013 | 05:53 PM
HD4ME(!)
5th Gear

Great advice from BMF18 and FXR_HAMSTER. I was in the same boat. The MSC I took gave me a lot of confidence (but not too much). I dove right in and bought a Dyna. I took it slow. Practiced a lot in parking lots to reinforce much of what I learned in the MSC. The first couple of rides were a little intimidating. Very quickly the bike 'felt' smaller and lighter. Take the course, then decide.

Old 04-10-2013 | 07:17 PM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor

Welcome to the HD Forum from the sunny shores of SoCal.

Old 04-10-2013 | 07:32 PM
2012SuperGlider
Road Captain

I thought about going the 'beginner bike' route too. Things I considered was the pain of selling it when I wanted to get something better, the possibility of selling for less than what I paid for it, sales tax, license and registration fees and anyway I looked at it I would lose a fair amount of money.

Then I thought about a sportster. Before I bought one I talked to the sales guy and he told me that a lot of people that buy sportsters end up trading them in within a year for something larger. I would lose eveen more money that way.

In the end I bought dyna superglide custom. It was a bit intimidating for a while but after taking a class then practicing a lot in parking lots and back at the same range I took the course on I feel good on it.

Really glad I bought one that I really like and enjoy every time I get on it.

Old 04-11-2013 | 04:40 AM
the wild hog
Seasoned HDF Member

Welcome!

Quick Reply: New member. Deciding on bike