Welcome Area Only New Member Welcome Area Only. Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what Harley Davidson you own. Save your bike related questions for the proper area.

New owner looking for sage advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2012 | 12:15 PM
Baltimore Chris
|
Stage II
Default New owner looking for sage advice

Hello all!

A couple of weeks ago I was lucky enough to come across what I believe to be a really good deal on a 2005 Sportster 1200C. A friend of mine passed away two weeks before and she was one of those people that really lived life, so partly as a tribute, I jumped on the chance, you only live once, that sort of thing...

Having owned older Hondas and Yamahas in the past, this is the first chance I have had to own a bike of this quality. It is the sharpest thing I have ever owned. The sense of pride in owning a quality American bike is something else.

So now I am a Harley owner. That feels really good. The question for me is: now what?

Having never been part of an actual biking culture, I want to embrace it and take part in it but I don't really know where to begin.

I have one of those 9-5 jobs, I'm not rich, I work in an office. I'd like to be part of a riding group, maybe. Is a Harley Owners Group a good idea? What should I be wearing so as to look the part? I don't want to be one of those guys that heads to the dealer, spends all of his money and buys up all the Harley gear, parading around. I want to seem like I belong without standing out as a noob.

What's the best way to start gang?

Old 11-07-2012 | 04:24 PM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor

Welcome to the forum. Lots of different and cool people to meet here. You are in the right place.

Old 11-07-2012 | 04:57 PM
Robbie13
LOSER

Welcome from North Carolina!

Old 11-07-2012 | 04:58 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member

Ok. This is my advice.

Find some people you know and ride with them. Learn from watching their line. Don't ride in large groups until you feel comfortable. (I don't group ride).

Wear whatever you want. Million threads on that. I lucked out and bought some custom leathers cheap from someone, my size, that quit riding. I would rather buy from an American company like Fox Creek then the Harley Davidson jackets but you do what you want.

If you ride under 50 degrees, buy some chaps. Protects from rocks, bugs and road rash too.
Ride your own ride.

Last edited by Ron750; 11-07-2012 at 05:00 PM.
Old 11-07-2012 | 05:03 PM
the wild hog
Seasoned HDF Member

Welcome from the Sunshine State. Try your local Harley dealer. They should have a local club that has rides and a meets once a month.

Old 11-08-2012 | 12:25 PM
Dead Creek Cycles
Former Sponsor

Welcome to the forum from NJ!

-Dead Creek Cycles

Old 11-08-2012 | 12:37 PM
exemexer
Road Warrior

Welcome and Don't worry about all that "fitting in" crap or what to wear, it's not nearly as important as you might think - not at all really. Just focus on riding right and safe (DO NOT TRUST CAGERS), everything else you will develope on your own and/or will take care of itself. Just ride dude and as often as possible.

Old 11-08-2012 | 01:39 PM
ceebaileys
Former Sponsor

Welcome from sunny Southern California

Old 11-08-2012 | 01:47 PM
Rustell
Road Warrior

Just be yourself....

Old 11-08-2012 | 02:01 PM
jimsflh
Outstanding HDF Member

Quick Reply: New owner looking for sage advice