Welcome Area Only New Member Welcome Area Only. Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what Harley Davidson you own. Save your bike related questions for the proper area.

Hi. New to Motorcycles

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 03:51 PM
Diego32
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi. New to Motorcycles

Hey everyone. This past weekend we had a party up here in my hometown called bikes blues and barbeque. I fell in love with the sound and image the Harleys gave. Like the title says I'm brand new to motorcycles and it'd be awesome of you guys to help me out or give me some tips on what bike to get. I plan on selling my car since I'm going to Marine basic training in a couple of months. I won't need a car for a couple of years and and using part of that money to buy the bike. I have my eyes set on a 2012-13 Harley sportster 883 iron. I love the raw look it projects. Is this bike too much for me or any other bikes you reccomend? Thanks for the help in advance. Really happy to soon be a part of this lifestyle.

Old 10-04-2012, 04:03 PM
DK Custom Products
Sponsor
Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

If you have never rode a motorcycle before, I would say you NEED to take a course, check with your local dealership and see what they offer. As far as a 883 Sportster being too much to handle... no. I am 5'7 125 lbs and I have a 1989 883 Sportster and I do just fine. Comfort is something you need to consider, once you go through the course and get your license, test drive different models before you pull the trigger on anything. Good luck in basic and keep your head up, it can be difficult and wear on you but its well worth it. Yes, I am speaking from expirence (Army). You also need to check and see what the Marines require as far as riding on base and in Military events. The Army required me to go through their training course. Best of luck and welcome to the Forum!

Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 10-04-2012, 04:22 PM
RonT1972
Cruiser

cool but as the guy above said take the class----- I did the riders edge class in August it was alot of fun, wish I had taken it before I tried to ride my bike the first time. But it helped alot in getting the basics down and gave me confidence in riding my bike. I took my first little trip on mine Tuesday it was awesome. I have a 2000 Sportster 1200------welcome to the forum and riding

Old 10-04-2012, 04:35 PM
Joker Relentless
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If you don't buy a motorcycle until after you join the Corps, they will probably require you to take a basic rider safety course. I know it's mandatory for all Navy personnel, but I think it's a requirement for all of the DON, that includes jarheads. Most bases offer one for free to service members, but you usually have to have your own bike. That's entirely up to the base though. How big are you? That's something to consider. I talked to a lot of people before I bought a bike, although there was more than just my own size to consider when I finally purchased it. You want something that won't be to much for you, but you don't want something you are going to feel like you've out grown a year after you bought it either. I'm new to riding as well, but have a lot of friends that own motorcycles in the service, so I was able to do a lot of talking. Good luck to you.

Old 10-04-2012, 04:51 PM
dbell66253
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Welcome from Florida. Definitely take a course since you are new, be very careful, have fun. Search through the forum, learn by others experience when possible.

Old 10-04-2012, 04:53 PM
ceebaileys
Former Sponsor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Read an article stated that Marine required to take a riding class before purchase a motorcycle but didn't said that you have to have a bike or provided to you. I would suggest you join the corps first and go from there. Heard there is also a military discount for the serviceman as well. I wish they have this program when I was in the service.

Old 10-04-2012, 04:54 PM
DK Custom Products
Sponsor
Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by RonT1972
cool but as the guy above said take the class----- I did the riders edge class in August it was alot of fun, wish I had taken it before I tried to ride my bike the first time. But it helped alot in getting the basics down and gave me confidence in riding my bike. I took my first little trip on mine Tuesday it was awesome. I have a 2000 Sportster 1200------welcome to the forum and riding
Not to be a stickler but I am a girl. lol Ride safe is the number one goal at all times!!!!

Old 10-04-2012, 04:59 PM
Simonizer
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome from Canada, the HD bug is a bad one to catch. Ditto on taking the safety course, very important, also read this form there is a lot of great advice here.
My first Harley was a Dyna, I was glad I got he bigger engine in the end for Long distance.
Whenever & whatever you buy probably won't be your last purchase. Look around at good used as well, someone got a good bike in my Dyna. Good luck, ride safe.

Old 10-04-2012, 05:06 PM
RonT1972
Cruiser

DK sorry about that LOL----motorcycle chicks are hot!!!!

Old 10-04-2012, 07:28 PM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor
Received 1,949 Likes on 1,933 Posts

Welcome to the HD Forum from the sunny shores of SoCal.

Quick Reply: Hi. New to Motorcycles