Welcome Area Only New Member Welcome Area Only. Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what Harley Davidson you own. Save your bike related questions for the proper area.

Noob from Texas

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2012 | 09:18 AM
Longhair4life
Extreme HDF Member

Welcome

Old 08-21-2012 | 11:21 AM
ceebaileys
Former Sponsor

Welcome from sunny SoCal

Old 08-21-2012 | 11:49 AM
SprungDave
Road Warrior

Welcome from California!

Ride safe!

Old 08-21-2012 | 12:00 PM
Big_Al47
Ultimate HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Welcome aboard

Old 08-21-2012 | 06:39 PM
onecoolpilot
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by HollywoodRoland
Take your time......go to a few different dealers. Sit there and stare at the bike....sit on it for a long time. Once you decide on the model you want.... find out what paint options there are. Don't settle for what 1 HD has on the lot.... go look around. I bet I sat at the dealership for at least 2 hours when I bought my first Harley.... just staring at this Dyna Wide...sitting on it.... drove the sales guy nuts.
Haha, I've been to the HD in Allen a couple of times, but I've tried not to bother the sales guys too much. Let 'em work with people that have cash to spend right now.

Originally Posted by rpbrown
Welcome to the forum.

I would check into MSF instead of HD for the class. It quite a bit cheaper ($100.00 less when my wife took the course 4 years ago).

As others have said, take your time and find what fits you the best.
I'll have to check that out. That $100 will buy me some accessories.

Originally Posted by prostar
Mitch Bina is an instructor at North Texas Harley that is very good. One of the topics covered is selection of a bike. Take a course as soon as you can.
I had looked at that one. They're the closest one to me that offers the class.

Old 08-21-2012 | 07:06 PM
tx-skydiver
Road Warrior

Welcome.

My 2 cents: Don't buy one just because it looks cool...especially for your 1st ride. Make sure it fits you physically and feels like "one with you". Once you find that model, then look at color, accessories, etc...

Old 08-22-2012 | 11:32 AM
onecoolpilot
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by tx-skydiver
Welcome.

My 2 cents: Don't buy one just because it looks cool...especially for your 1st ride. Make sure it fits you physically and feels like "one with you". Once you find that model, then look at color, accessories, etc...
Understood. Ill be doing the same thing Hollywood did. I'll be that guy that walks into the HD store and everyone says "oh crap".

Old 08-22-2012 | 06:33 PM
FLY-DOG
Cruiser
Veteran: Navy

Welcome from Stockbridge, GA!! After you take the riding course, attend a few charity rides on a rented Harley or just go in your car and see the riders bikes up close and personal and ask lots of questions. You may even get an offer to sit on a few to see how they fit you.

Old 08-22-2012 | 08:49 PM
onecoolpilot
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by FLY-DOG
Welcome from Stockbridge, GA!! After you take the riding course, attend a few charity rides on a rented Harley or just go in your car and see the riders bikes up close and personal and ask lots of questions. You may even get an offer to sit on a few to see how they fit you.
I can rent a Harley? Bad ***! I actually really got the bug one day while watching a riding event. It's an annual teddy bear run that they do around here, comes right down the street in front of my house. I always forget about it until I hear the rumble and feel the house vibrating (the road is 10ft outside my kitchen window), then we run out side to wave and watch.

I had no idea I could rent one though. Look like I'm gonna have to move my timeline up a bit

Old 10-06-2013 | 12:20 PM
onecoolpilot
|
Tourer

Well, it's been over a year now, and I finally have my Harley

Went to the dealer yesterday to take advantage of the demo truck being there. I finished Riders Edge last weekend, and went to the DPS on Tuesday. there was a misunderstanding between myself and the guy behind the sign up table for the demo rides (about the paper license) and I didn't get to ride one.

MY sales guy said "whatever, give me a minute and WE'LL take our own demo ride. Pick out which one you want to ride." Took out a '14 Street Bob and I loved it. Fit me nice, good power (has the 103 like the bigger bikes) and it was in my price range. They jumped through hoops to get me financed. At least they made it seem that way.

I didn't bring it home last night because it was dark by the time we finished, it was raining, and there's road construction all around the dealership. All that on top of me being a new rider, too may risk factors for me, so we're heading up there in a bit to bring her home.

Quick Reply: Noob from Texas