Welcome Area Only New Member Welcome Area Only. Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what Harley Davidson you own. Save your bike related questions for the proper area.

Riders with young children

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007 | 12:34 PM
crossfire3006
|
Road Captain
Default Riders with young children

Hello everyone,
I just joined HD Forums today and have a question that I'm sure some of you may be able to help me with. I have always been a Harley Davidson enthusiast and for years wanted to buy one but never did.Something always got in the way. My wife and I have a 2 year old daughter and would like to have a second child.

I have an opportunity to buy an absolutely beautiful Harley Davidson Deuce but my wife is against it because of our daughter and my commitment to her as her husband. I completely understand her concerns.I, too, often think that maybe a bike is not the best thing right now.My question is, are there many of you out there that have bikesand young children? I figured what better people to ask then those who ride. I just want to be able to weigh the "Pros" and "Cons" and toget some thoughts on the subject. Thanks everyone.

Old 01-17-2007 | 12:35 PM
StreetGlide2006
Road Warrior
Default RE: Riders with young children

Welcome.............From North West Ohio!

Ride Safe,

Mike

Old 01-17-2007 | 12:39 PM
Legendary6301
Cruiser

Welcome...I have 2 small ones...a 3 year old and a 13 month. I drive a 2004 FatBoy. Get the Bike! The pros are...you have a Harley, its great, you love it, itsa great stress reliever. The cons...you may not get to ride it as much as you would like, its a lot of money to spend on a bike that you can't ride as much as you like, HD stands for Hundreds or Dollars that wou want to spend customizing. The noly downside I see is the loss of riding time...when your not riding you can customize and tinker...

Get it...

Old 01-17-2007 | 12:55 PM
Joe Nobody
Advanced

welcome from Idaho!!!

I have 4 kids 11, 9, 5, 18 mos. and I ride every day to work (weather permitting). Just remember not to cross that road cause you might get hit.

In all seriousness I worry about leaving them from time to time but as soon as I get on the road all that goes away which is why I ride. Its not my place to tell you to buy the bike or not I KNOW I wouldn't be able to live as happily without it.

Old 01-17-2007 | 01:07 PM
Bug
Road Master

Welcome.

My youngest is 13 years old so I am not in your exact sameposition but I guess it depends on what your wife's concerns are. Is she concerned that you won't spend as much time with her or the kids if you have the bike? Or is she concerned with the your safety and what will happen to them if you get hurt or killed? Both can be valid concerns but not necessarily a reason to not get a bike. IMO, you have to weigh the risks and benfits. As a young father you need outlets in your life which can actually make you a better husband and father if you are balanced about it. Not having an outlet is not balance. Also, there are real risks involved when you decide to ride which could leave you crippled or dead, that being said you have to do the responsible thing and make sure you have made arrangements that will take care of the financial responsibilities that you have (ie. life insurance, health and disability insurance, etc.) All that being said I think having a bike can be a great idea. It is also a good idea if the wifey agrees with you so that could take some convincing.

Old 01-17-2007 | 02:09 PM
scarnay
Road Master

Hello from Millsboro, DE. I can't tell you one way or the other about getting the bike but I can tell you that if you do get it and your wife is against it, it will not be a pleasurable experience. It may also become the root of many arguments. If you want her to ride with you, she will most likely not want to because you got it against her will. I've seen it happen.

Old 01-17-2007 | 02:15 PM
jdd5325
Stage IV

Can't tell you how many guys I work with had Harleys and then had to sell them due to the arrival of children. I have the pleasure of having 2 month old twins so I may be in a different situation. My Harley is for sale because the reality is the wellfare of my family outweighs my needing a motorcycle. My father-in-law waited 20 years between vettes (went from a 67 427 to a ZO6). My boss went from a 88 Sportster to an 03 Heritage Classic. As you can see from other posts, everyones situation is different. I hope that in the end, my 04 1200 turns into a Road King with a side car. Good luck.

Old 01-17-2007 | 02:17 PM
skipit
Ultimate HDF Member

Welcome from California!! Your wife might be afraid you will be a little careless! Make sure you will be able to watch your kids grow up. Ride safe my friend!!

Old 01-17-2007 | 02:25 PM
beyondthepaint
Cruiser

I only gave up the rallies when I had kids. (some of the campgrounds are no place for kids) My youngest is 13 now, and he loves it when I pick him up from school on the Harley. It gives him cool points with the other kids. His mom is not happy about the bike, but she knows I am easier to get along with when I get to ride. I don't feel any more risk to myself than I do driving a car, or flying on an airplane. Life is dangerous, and if you spend your life worrying about dying, you'll never live.

Ride safe and ride often!

Old 01-17-2007 | 02:25 PM
Custom07RKC
Outstanding HDF Member

Hello and welcome to the forum from central PA.

Quick Reply: Riders with young children