Welcome Area Only New Member Welcome Area Only. Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what Harley Davidson you own. Save your bike related questions for the proper area.

Just turned 50, dying to get a Harley

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2012 | 09:26 AM
16VAFXDL
Road Captain
Veteran: Army

Welcome from Fredericksburg, VA.

Old 06-17-2012 | 11:28 AM
klaybus
Stellar HDF Member

Welcome from Seattle! As others have suggested, look at the Dyna & Softail line of bikes too. My first Harley was a Heritage. Very easy bike to ride with a low center of gravity. I did 400 mile rides on mine allot. Get that MC safety class done & your on your way.

Old 06-17-2012 | 12:04 PM
Blackysporty
Road Master

Congrats and welcome. I have a sportster and it is comfortable to me. But then I have a mustang touring seat too. Make sure you have a great seat, it makes a big difference.

Old 06-17-2012 | 12:14 PM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by donmontalvo
I turned 50 and so I'm thinking it's time to get a Harley and join a club to do some trips. I'm 5'5" and I spent 15 years racing bicycles, but never sat on a motorcycle. In 15 years of racing I never went down, even in the open Cat3 races.

So looking at the Sportster 883 Low as my first bike. At first I thought of getting a cheap bike, but I want to get started and hopefully by next Summer I'd like to do a long trip with a bunch of other mid lifers.

The price is right, and I'm sure if it's anything like buying your first racing bicycle, you start with the low end racing bike and eventually you upgrade or you stick with what you have and make do. I'm sure the later will happen. No illusion of being Easy Rider.

This is my frist post, so I hope I don't sound like a wanna be. I'm a successful IT guy who just wants to get out with some friends on weekends. I'm already riding with our local bike club and it's great for taking off some of the weight. But I get the urge to REALY ride. You know, riding easy but long distance, stopping to check out the sites, staying at hotels, and eventually coming back home to get back to work on Monday.

Don
Unless your <5' 9" it won't be a comfortable bike. Lowered bikes also have compromised suspensions. Depending on the style of bike your looking for suggest XR1200, Dyna, etc..

Old 06-17-2012 | 12:22 PM
baust55
Outstanding HDF Member

My first bike was a Sporty then a Shovel the bigger bike was easyer to ride than the Sporty .

Take a Riders Edge course at your dealer before you buy and test ride a few diffrent models after the course .

Good luck enjoy!

Last edited by baust55; 06-17-2012 at 12:35 PM.
Old 06-17-2012 | 12:54 PM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

Originally Posted by donmontalvo
I turned 50 and so I'm thinking it's time to get a Harley and join a club to do some trips. I'm 5'5" and I spent 15 years racing bicycles, but never sat on a motorcycle.

I want to get started and hopefully by next Summer I'd like to do a long trip with a bunch of other mid lifers.

The price is right, and I'm sure if it's anything like buying your first racing bicycle, you start with the low end racing bike and eventually you upgrade or you stick with what you have and make do. I'm sure the later will happen. No illusion of being Easy Rider.

Don
Welcome to the forum....
I'll repeat the advice to take a beginneing rider's class.... MFS at a local community college, or the Rider's Edge class at your local HD dealership.

The Sportster is a fine bike... no two ways about it.... but will it SUIT your needs? or will a larger bike work better.
I always give the same advice.... unless you are able to afford throwing away the money.... buy a used bike.. say 5 years old.. something that has lost the biggest chuck of it's "value" but is still a good bike.
Learn how to ride, and more importantly... learn what sort of riding suits you. THEN... buy the bike that fits your needs, and wants.

Take the class, see if it is what you really want... if so... then visit a bunch of showrooms, and sit on EVERY bike.... don't worry about "brand"...buy a bike, learn.. and then move up (or over) to the bike that speaks to you.

Real riders will welcome you regardless of what you ride.....Don't just go out and "join" any old club.....visit with them... go on a few rides/meetings.... lots of great groups to ride with... and some... not so much

Old 06-17-2012 | 04:35 PM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member

Your in a lot better position to decide what kind of bike you want after you have ridden for year or two and gained some experience. It is hard to appreciate differences in suspension travel/damping, cornering clearance, rake/trail, quality brakes, etc. as a new rider but they become increasingly important as your skills develop. Are you mainly going to be commuting, long distance touring, sport riding on twisty back roads, etc. A bike that works really well for one of these things will not be ideal for the others. An older, lightweight bike you can afford to drop on it's side a few times is a better starter bike than an 800lb new shinny harley that will have you cursing the first time you dent the tank and make you scared to enter into a crowded parking lot with tight turning spaces. An lightweight, agile bike will be easier to learn on.

Last edited by fat_tony; 06-17-2012 at 04:40 PM.
Old 06-17-2012 | 04:53 PM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member

Welcome! I'm wondering if a used bike with bags might be a good choice since that is the kind of riding you want to do anyway.

Take the the safety class and enjoy!

Old 06-17-2012 | 04:59 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Welcome and if it aint going to break you get one life is to short to wait any longer

Old 06-17-2012 | 05:41 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator

welcome from S Fl, returning rider here after more than 25 years, a 55 year old female, 5'6" and just got a Sportster 1200c, the height is fine for me, I am managing well in parking lots and did 100 miles yesterday. As others say, do the MSF course and sit on lots of bikes.

Quick Reply: Just turned 50, dying to get a Harley